Cheese steak sandwiches are a deliciously rich and cheesy classic sammie that'll warm you up from the inside out and satisfy all your comfort food cravings!
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for buns
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 green pepper (or half green and half red so it's pretty)
- 1 pound steak (1/2 to 3/4-inch thick), grilled
- Tostito's Queso Cheese dip, about 1/2 cup
- 4 fresh hoagie buns
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and green pepper. Saute until soft (about 8 minutes).
- While onions and pepper are cooking, slice steak into 1/4-inch slices against the grain.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F., and put in a dark cookie sheet to get hot. Split the buns in half, and butter the insides. When veggies are done, add the steak.
- Place the buns, butter-side down, on the hot cookie sheet.
- Heat steak until warm.
- Add about a 1/2 cup of queso cheese dip to the hot veggies and meat -- you want enough to make it creamy, but not soaked.
- Pull the pan out of the oven when the buns are toasted. Turn your oven to broil.
- Flip the buns over on the pan, so that the toasted side is facing up. Fill each bun with 1/4 of the veggie-steak mixture, and place mozzarella on top.
- Put the sandwiches back in the oven, under the broiler, until the mozzarella is melted.
- Serve hot!
- I'll often make steak the night before (or earlier in the week) and just cook enough so that I have leftovers to make this recipe. Cooking the steak ahead of time cuts down on the time it takes to make this meal.
- No store-bought nacho cheese? You can my homemade nacho sauce for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove top, bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sandwich, cheese steak, grilled, cheese, easy dinner