A Cucumber Sandwich is just what a summer lunch should be – light, tangy, fresh, and airy. They are so fun for tea parties, baby showers, or just to switch up lunch time a bit.
In my mind you can’t get more summery than a delicious cucumber sandwich. They are made with rye bread, herbed cream cheese, and fresh thinly sliced cucumbers with a hint of salt. But of course, you can customize this lunch recipe to best suit your taste buds!
How to make Cucumber Sandwiches
- Make an herbed cream cheese with green onions and some simple spices.
- Toast up your favorite rye bread.
- Spread the rye bread with the cream cheese.
- Cut the cucumber into thin slices with a sharp knife and place on the bread slice. Top with salt and pepper.
- Serve right away. These are perfect for light lunches, afternoon tea, or for a snack.
What type of cucumber works well for this sandwich?
You can use all kinds of cucumber for this recipe. I just use what I have in the garden! English, Kirby, and most any other kind work well. I like to remove the skin if it’s thick or tough.
How do you keep cucumber sandwiches from getting soggy?
I like to pat my cucumber slices dry with a paper towel to remove excess water. That should help decrease any sogginess that might occur.
What bread is best for cucumber sandwiches?
I love rye bread because it has great texture and adds a lot of flavor. Good options for bread include Jewish Rye, marbled Rye, and pumpernickel. Toasted or untoasted, you choose.
Does the Queen of England eat cucumber sandwiches?
Cucumber sandwiches are often accompanied for tea time. It is rumored that the Queen does indeed like them and prefers the corners cut off.
What do cucumbers do for your body?
Cucumbers have several health benefits. They are filled with nutrients but are low in calories. They aid in hydration, contains antioxidants and are really easy to add to any meal!
Check out these recipes if you are looking for more cucumber goodness:
- Mediterranean Cucumber Salad
- Quick Pickled Cucumbers and Onions
- Midwestern Creamy Cucumber and Vinegar Salad
- Sweet and Spicy Cucumbers and Vinegar
- Quick Dilly Cucumbers in Vinegar
- Quick Pickled Cucumbers (my grandma's recipe and a huge favorite of blog readers)
If you’ve tried this simple cucumber sandwich recipe or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories AND add your photo to your comment so that other can see your creationPrint
The best Cucumber Sandwich is made with rye bread, herbed cream cheese, and fresh cucumbers with some of salt. But of course, you can customize this lunch recipe to best suit your taste buds!
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 green onion, green part only chopped
- dash of garlic and onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of rye bread
- 1 cucumber sliced
- Add the cream cheese, green onion, and seasons to a small bowl and combine well with a fork.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Toast (if you like) the rye bread.
- Spread ¼ of the cream cheese mixture (or less if you like...) on the toasted bread and top with sliced cucumbers.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
- You can use reduced-fat cream cheese if you like here, it tastes just as creamy.
- I love rye bread because it has great texture and adds a lot of flavor. Good options for bread include Jewish Rye, marbled Rye, and pumpernickel. Toasted or untoasted, you choose.
- If you aren't up for making your own herbed cream cheese, the chive and onion cream cheese spread from the store is great on this.
- That being said, you can use whatever herbs you love and have on hand too. It's great with fresh dill and/or parsley chopped up and stirred into the cream cheese mixture as well.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Toaster
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cucumber sandwich, cucumber sandwiches, cucumber sandwich recipe, cucumber sandwich cream cheese, how to make a cucumber sandwich, sandwich recipe, sandwich recipe for breakfast
I know you will enjoy this quick, easy and tasty cucumber sandwich made with rye bread, herbed cream cheese, and fresh cucumbers. It’s healthy and simple!