Healthy carrot cake zucchini muffins come together in just a half hour and have all your favorite carrot cake flavors with an added kick of nutrients from wholesome ingredients!
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup nuts or seeds of choice, optional (I used hemp seed)
- ½ cup raisins, craisins, or any dried fruit, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line or grease 18 muffin cups.
- Shred and drain zucchini and carrots. Allow to drain in a colander, or squeeze out excess moisture with a towel. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bananas, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Whisk until well-combined.
- Add zucchini and carrots to the bowl. Stir together just until combined.
- Add the whole wheat flour, oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Mix just until combined. Don’t over-mix this!
- Fold in the seeds or nuts and dried fruit, if using.
- Fill muffin cups about ¾ full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until muffins are browned on top, spring back when you press on them, and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then remove from tin and cool for 20 more minutes.
- *To make oat flour, simply grind oats in a blender or food processor, measure after grinding.
- Muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature, refrigerated for a week, or frozen for up to 3 months.
- To defrost and serve frozen muffins, place up to 4 frozen muffins upside down on a microwave-safe plate in the microwave and cook for 30 seconds on high power. Then turn muffins right side up and cook for 30 seconds more.
- I’ll often put frozen muffins right in my kids’ lunch boxes; they thaw before lunch just great.
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: zucchini muffin, easy muffin, muffin recipe, carrot cake muffin, breakfast, snack, healthy, whole wheat, whole grain