Sweet potato pie is a classic to make this winter; it tastes a whole lot like a pumpkin pie but the texture is creamier and the color is prettier!
- 1 uncooked 9 inch pie shell, store bought or homemade
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes (1 large or 2 small fresh sweet potatoes)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll our your pie crust, place it in the pie tin, and crimp the edges.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg slightly with a fork.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, gloves, and evaporated milk and whisk until combined well (mixture will be very loose).
- Pour into the prepared pie shell.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- Without opening the oven door, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for an additional 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before serving. Serve at room temperature or cold and it is delicious with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on the side.
- You have a few options when it comes to your cooked sweet potatoes. You can cook them however you want. My sister-in-law normally peels, cubes, and boils them before mashing them. I like to roast the sweet potatoes with the skin on and then peel them when cooked and run them through the food processor before using them in the recipes. If you just mash them you’ll have little pieces of sweet potato in the pie that you’ll be able to see. I prefer the pie very smooth and always blend them well before I use them. I like roasting them too because it makes them extra sweet and I think it gives the best flavor to the pie. Here’s a full blog post on how to roast sweet potatoes.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make sweet potato pie, sweet potato pie, sweet potato pie recipe, roasted sweet potato recipe