This carrot soup with ginger is full of hearty, warming flavors and is perfect to make on a cold day when you just want something easy and comforting for dinner!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 to 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 6 cups roughly peeled and chopped carrots, about 2 pounds
- 1 large tart apple (such as Braeburn, Granny Smith, or McIntosh apples), cored and cut into large pieces
- 1 cup half and half (or full fat coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Additional salt, ginger, and pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven, add the olive oil and onions. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes until the onions soften a bit.
- Add the garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add 4 cups of broth.
- Add your carrots and apple, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer with a lid on the pot until the carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes. Add more chicken broth if the liquid cooks off to quickly.
- When the carrots are tender, process them in a blender in batches until smooth, or use an immersion blender to make them smooth.
- When the soup is blended and smooth, return it to the pot and place it over low heat.
- Add the half and half, salt, ginger, and black pepper.
- Adjust the thickness of the soup (it should be on the thin side, not thick like potatoes or baby food) using additional broth or half and half to your liking.
- Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Serve hot.
- You can speed up the cooking time of this dish by cutting carrots into smaller pieces. Big chunks take longer to cook than thinly sliced carrot pieces.
- You can omit the ginger if you'd like, though it's really nice in this recipe.
- Serve with hot bread or rolls.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot soup, carrot soup recipe, homemade carrot soup, cream of carrot soup, ginger carrot soup