Cheesy Sausage and Pepper Stromboli made with homemade pizza crust, lots of sausage and cheese, and all rolled up into dippable pizza-like slices the whole family will love.
- 1 recipe Perfect Pizza Crust
- 1 pound sausage, cooked through and drained of grease
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon dry)
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley (or 1 tablespoon dry)
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg, optional
- marinara sauce for serving
- Make the dough and let it rise for an hour or so, so that it can get nice and soft.
- While the dough is rising, cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it is cooked though. Drain off extra grease.
- Leave the cooked sausage in the pan and return the pan to the heat. Add the onion and bell pepper to the pan and cook until the veggies are soft and the excess moisture is cooked off. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil and parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. After the dough has risen for an hour, roll it out on a lightly floured surface until it is between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick. My dough rectangle was big, about 14 inches wide by 11 inches tall.
- Sprinkle the sausage mixture and then cheeses over the dough evenly leaving about an inch and a half of dough showing at the top and bottom (for rolling purposes). Starting at the bottom (where a bit of dough is showing) roll the dough, jelly-roll style (or like a cinnamon roll).
- Lay the giant Stromboli log on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, with the seam down, and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg well and brush the beaten egg over the top of the dough if you’d like the dough to cook up extra brown and pretty. Skip if you don’t care. You can add a little extra Parmesan and Italian seasoning over the top, too, if you like.
- Bake in the hot oven for one hour. Let the Stromboli rest for 10 minutes before slicing with a serrated knife.
- Serve hot with marinara sauce for dipping.
This makes a lot of food, but it also reheats really well. I love leftovers!
You can make this a 100% whole wheat crust and it’ll be delicious.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pizza, Stromboli, sausage, pizza dough, easy dinner ideas, what can you make with pizza dough