While I’m waiting anxiously for my tomatoes to ripen I’ve been making and eating this salsa like it’s my job. This is my very favorite quick and easy blender salsa recipe that uses canned tomatoes. Canned tomatoes are such a great option in cooking when the garden ones aren’t quiet ready because they were actually picked and processed when the tomatoes were ripe. They win over those mealy store-bought tomatoes any day, especially in salsa.
Bonus points if you are using home canned tomatoes from last year’s garden.
This recipe is quick, easy, and awesome. I think you should whip it up for a snack and then eat it again for dinner. So tasty!
- Yield: About 5 cups of salsa
- 1/2 cup cilantro (more to taste)
- 1/4 of a medium onion (about 1/2 cup), I prefer a sweet or red onion
- 1 clove garlic, outer skin removed
- 1 whole jalapeno, halved (I take the seeds out)
- 1 can whole tomatoes (28 ounce) or 1 quart home-canned whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 can (10 ounce) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Combine cilantro, onion, garlic, and jalapeno in blender or food processor. Process until all of the veggies are chopped, about 30 seconds. Add the whole undrained tomatoes, sugar, salt, cumin, and lime juice and pulse a few time until you get the salsa consistency that you like (10-15 pulses). Add the diced tomatoes and pulse one or two times to combine. Test the seasonings on a tortilla chip and adjust accordingly.
- The salsa is much better when it has time to sit. Let it rest for at least an hour before serving with warm tortilla chips or any other Mexican dish.
For this recipe, I recommend:
This recipe is adapted from my girl Ree. (Ok, I just pretend like we are friends… but you never know! One day we could be.)
Here are some of my favorite things to enjoy with this blender salsa:
Homemade Baked Corn Tortilla Chips from Bless this Mess
Steak Tostadas from Bless this Mess
Meatless Stuffed Bell Peppers from Bless this Mess
Burrito Bowls from Wholefully
Sweet and Spicy Pork from One Lovely Life
And be on the look out for a hobby farm update this week. We have more cute things!!!