on Aug 02, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Nothing satisfies a Mexican food craving quite like my soft and hearty Chicken Burritos! Made with just a handful of simple ingredients, these chicken burritos are perfect for late night snacking, busy weeknight dinners, or lunch on the go!
Although my homemade chicken burritos might not be the most elegant meal out there, they sure are hearty, perfectly seasoned, and satisfying. Packed with bites of pan-fried chicken, black beans, sour cream, and cheddar cheese, these burritos are thick and juicy.
You can serve these burritos on their own as a quick lunch or pair them with your favorite Mexican side dishes for dinner. These easy chicken burritos are even great leftover or when taken on the go! One of my favorite things about this 25-minute recipe is that it’s so customizable. Add your favorite sauces, meats, and veggies to really make this dish your own.
We Love This Recipe Because It…
- Is super customizable—add your favorite toppings!
- Takes only 25 minutes to make.
- Is perfectly seasoned with all your favorite Mexican flavors.
- Is hearty and filling!
- Chicken Breasts—Diced into bite-sized pieces.
- Black Beans—Adds a sense of heartiness and an earthy flavor to this comforting dish.
- Cheddar Cheese—Shredded. Or your favorite melty cheese.
- Sour Cream—Rich and tangy, this creamy spread helps to balance out the other savory flavors in this dish.
- Tortillas—Flour or corn, just make sure that they’re warm!
- Taco Seasoning Mix—I always just pick up a packet at the grocery store, but you can also use your favorite homemade seasoning blend.
- Olive Oil—Helps perfectly brown the chicken.
How to Make Chicken Burritos
- In a large pan, sauté together the diced chicken and taco seasoning in the olive oil.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the heat and set aside.
- Use a knife or the back of a spoon to spread the sour cream evenly over the surface of the tortillas.
- Add scoops of the chicken mixture, black beans, and cheese on top of the sour cream.
- Roll each burrito tightly before serving. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
These quick and easy chicken burritos pair well with all your favorite Mexican-inspired side dishes! I like plating up my burritos with a side of cilantro lime rice, chips and guacamole, and a Mexican street corn salad.
I love the mild, juicy flavor that the sautéed chicken adds to this dish, but you can really use any kind of meat to fill your homemade burritos. Grilled steak, marinated pork, and ground beef would all be really tasty in this dish.
There are two big differences between chicken wraps and chicken burritos. The first is that chicken burritos are typically served warm while wraps are served cold. Second, chicken burritos are full of bold and spicy Mexican flavors! Wraps on the other hand, tend to feature mild flavors and classic American ingredients like romaine lettuce, colby jack cheese, and ranch dressing.
What Else Can I Put Inside My Chicken Burritos?
My quick and easy chicken burrito recipe includes only the most basic of burrito ingredients. You can add your favorite sauces, cheeses, and veggies to make these burritos your own! Try adding some salsa, guacamole, hot sauce, queso, rice, diced tomatoes, red onion, grilled corn kernels, pan fried cubed potatoes, or shredded lettuce to your burritos.
How to Store Easy Chicken Burritos
I find that this dish will stay fresh the longest if you store all the ingredients separately. Store any leftover chicken, beans, sour cream, cheese, and tortillas in their own airtight containers in the fridge for up to 5 days. When you’re ready to enjoy some fresh chicken burritos, simply warm up the chicken before assembling the dish as normal. Already rolled burritos can also be wrapped in tin foil and stored in the fridge, but will get soggy after a day or two.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- In a rush? You can use leftover shredded or rotisserie chicken in these burritos! Simply pop the chilled chicken into a bowl, add a tiny bit of water and your taco seasonings, and microwave until warmed through.
- You can use these same ingredients to make tacos or quesadillas instead of burritos!
- Flour tortillas are easier to roll and hold their shape better than corn tortillas. However, corn tortillas have the added benefit of being gluten free!
- You can make your own taco seasoning mix by combining chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, and dried oregano.
- Add some crunchy texture to these soft and fluffy burritos by grilling them! Simply melt some butter in a pan and add in a rolled burrito. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the tortilla is golden brown and crispy.
- Carne Asada Tacos
- Easy Mexican Black Beans for Tacos
- The Best Guacamole Recipe
- Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
If you’ve tried this Chicken Burritos recipe or any other recipe on Bless This Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
- 3 large chicken breasts,, cut into small pieces (diced)
- 1 ounce taco seasoning,, 1 packed or two heaping tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup black beans,, drained
- 4 large tortillas
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil has had a minute or two to heat up, add the chicken and taco seasoning. Use a spatula to fold the ingredients together until the chicken is evenly coated in the seasoning.
- Cook the chicken for about 7 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Spread a layer of sour cream onto each tortilla and pile on the diced chicken, cheese, and black beans as desired.
- Fold two opposite sides of each tortilla towards the center and roll up the burritos to secure them.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you want to take your burritos to the next level, heat some butter in a pan and cook the burritos for about 2-3 minutes per side to give them a golden brown color and nice crunchy texture.
- Other toppings that go great in these burritos include fresh salsa or pico de gallo, corn, refried beans, lettuce, and guacamole.
- This diced chicken is good for about 4-5 days in the fridge when stored in an airtight container.
- I like to keep the base of these burritos on the simple side so that my guests can easily modify and add to them as desired.
- You can make these “wet burritos” by placing them on an oven safe plate, covering one burrito with 1/4 cup enchilada sauce (red or green enchilada sauce, both work), covering with 1/4 cup shredded cheese and then heating in a hot oven until the cheese melts, 5-10 minutes.
When it comes to satisfying a Mexican food craving, nothing quite hits the spot like the soft and hearty goodness of my Chicken Burritos. With their simple yet delicious combination of ingredients, these burritos are a versatile option suitable for late-night cravings, hectic weeknight meals, or a quick and satisfying lunch while on the move.