This easy Apple Crumb Cake recipe is a sweet, crumbly, and delicious fruit dessert that you can make on a cool Fall day to use up the rest of those apples lying around! With a cinnamon-sugar topping and moist, fluffy texture, this apple cake is comfort food at its best.
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 cups apple, chopped and peeled, fresh or canned
For the crumb topping:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F., and butter the bottom and sides of a jelly roll pan (mine is 10×15 inches).
- Add the butter, applesauce, and sugar to the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix with the paddle attachment on medium speed, until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, and beat until well mixed.
- Add the flour to the bowl, and then sprinkle the baking powder and cinnamon over the top. Mix together on low speed until combined.
- Fold in the apples. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- For the crumb topping: Combine the sugars, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together to combine.
- Add the melted butter and stir.
- Add the flour, and stir to make a dough that resembles the consistency of cookie dough.
- Take the “dough” in your hands, break off pea-sized crumbs, and drop them on top of the cake batter. Evenly distribute all of the crumb topping over the cake batter in this manner. Don’t press or pat the crumb pieces into the cake, just let them rest where they fall.
- Place the cake in the oven and bake for 23 to 26 minutes, until the cake springs back when slightly touched.
- Allow the cake to cool for several hours before serving. Store by lightly covering with a towel, too tight of a covering makes the crumb topping go soft.
- You can make this in a 9×13-inch pan for a thicker cake, but it’ll take at least twice as long to bake. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, and the cake springs back when pressed lightly.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple cake, apple cake recipe, fall comfort food recipe, crumb cake recipe, coffee crumb cake