Move aside Chipotle-there is a DIY Burrito Bowl in the house. Burrito bowls are healthy, easy, delicious and customizable for the whole family.
Build-your-own burrito bowl is one of my favorite meals to serve because you set everything on the table and then everyone can make their bowl just the way they like it. The people will cheer to be able to add exactly what they want to their bowl.
Easy Burrito Bowls
A Burrito bowl is my go-to order at burrito type places. They taste fresh, they are filling and I’m a sucker for pico de gallo. Now, you can make such a meal at home! It is not only cheaper, but you know exactly what you are putting into your meal and it tastes fabulous.
This recipe uses chicken but you can use any protein that you want/have at home. Burrito bowls tastes excellent with pork, steak or shrimp in them too. Or you could go the vegetarian route and just bulk up on the vegetables. The options are endless and it is so simple to execute.
I use rice for burrito bowls but you could also use quinoa or cauliflower rice. These burrito bowls are super versatile and I haven’t eaten one I didn’t like.
What do I put in a burrito bowl?
Are burrito bowls healthy?
Burritos bowls are a well balanced meal complete with protein, carbs and fat. You can make that as healthy as you like but overall they are a filling meal with all of the right components. And I love that it's a mix-and-match meal which means everyone in the family can make their bowl just how they like it.
Why is it called a burrito bowl?
Think of a burrito bowl as just a deconstructed burrito but it contains all of the same elements. Usually it is served without a tortilla as well. All of the ingredients are layered in a bowl to create a delicious dish.
More easy dinner recipes:
- The Best Chicken Tacos Ever
- Navajo Taco Recipe
- Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls (Instant Pot or Slow Cooker)
- Knock-Your-Socks-Off Pulled Pork Tacos
If you’ve tried this chicken burrito bowl recipe or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories AND add your photo to your comment so that other can see your creation.Print
These 30 minute chicken burrito bowls are made with rice, cooked chicken, corn, black beans, and more! These DIY build-your-own bowls meals are always a hit with the whole family. Easy, healthy, and fast!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin bite-size strips
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 fresh poblano chile pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained (15 ounce can)
- 1 lime
- 1 medium avocado, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup refrigerated pico de gallo
- ¼ cup shredded Mexican-style four-cheese blend
- Lime wedges and fresh cilantro for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, rice, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Do not lift lid. Remove from head and let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.
- While rice is cooking, toss together chicken, 2 teaspoons of the taco seasoning, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt. Coat a 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken and poblano pepper for 4 to 6 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add corn and beans. Cook until heated, for about 2 minutes.
- Remove ½ teaspoon zest and squeeze 3 tablespoons juice from lime. In a bowl, mash together avocado and lime zest. In another bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, and remaining 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning.
- Divide lettuce into bowls, add rice then chicken mixture. Top with avocado mixture, pico de gallo, and cheese. Drizzle with lime juice and oil mixture. Serve with cilantro.
- This works great with boneless skinless chicken thighs too.
- My kids love this recipe with some ranch on the top and it's like a ricey salad.
- If you can't find a poblano pepper, just use a green or colored bell pepper.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken burrito bowl, burrito bowls, how to make a burrito bowl, burrito bowl recipe, chicken burrito bowl recipe
Burrito bowls at home are quick, easy, healthy and more cost effective than ordering one at a restaurant. You will love this meal for it’s ease and tastiness!