Classic Guacamole that is simple, delicious and can be whipped up with just a few ingredients. Quit paying extra for guac and just make your own!
Guacamole is quite literally perfect on everything. This recipe uses avocados, tomatoes, onion, poblano pepper and some cilantro. It is quick and packs a flavor punch too.
First things first, did you know that avocado is actually a fruit? They fit all of the criteria for being a berry with because of the seed and pulp. Interesting factoid. People are crazy about avocados and for good reason. They taste delicious and contain healthy fats but also they are the main ingredient in guacamole.
Guacamole dates back to the Aztec Empire in Central America. The people called it ahuaca-mulli which is translated to avocado sauce. People still love their avocados and consume an insane amount of them each year.
I like to serve guacamole on anything and everything. Burgers, salads, sandwiches, burritos or just as a dip with your favorite chips. The sky is the limit with guac.
- Avocados: look for avocado that a keep green to almost black and give slightly when squeezed or bring them home and wait for them to get to this point
- Tomatoes: I like to add just a little, they add great color and texture to the dish
- Cilantro: part of a great Mexican dish!
- Garlic: just a little goes a long way
- Onion: this adds crunch and flavor and makes them amazing
- Chop those veggies.
- Mash the avocados.
- Mix it all together and add salt and lime juice.
- Makes sure your salt is just where you like it (don't understand it!) and put it on everything and dip your favorite tortilla chips into it!
Frequently Asked Questions
Picking the perfect avocado is important especially if you have plans to use them immediately. They need to be the perfect ripeness or you need to be okay with waiting for them to ripen. You can check for ripeness by pressing gently on the outside of the avocado. You want there to be a little bit of give but still firm, indicating that the avocado is ripe. If there is too much give the chances are good that the avocado is overly ripe.
I have tried lots of things from putting more lime juice in to keeping the pit of the avocado in the bowl when stored but nothing really worked. The guacamole always turned an unappetizing brownish color. I have found a better way to store guacamole.
Next time, place the guacamole in an airtight container. Pat the guac down with a spoon so it is flat and smooth on top. Now, add a tiny amount of water. I’m talking only about ½ an inch on the top. Place the lid on the storage container and place in the fridge. Now your guacamole will stay fresh and most of all GREEN! When you are ready to eat it again, simply drain off the excess water, stir and enjoy.
Guacamole is made of avocados and other healthy ingredients that have great health benefits. Avocados are good for your heart, skin, hair, vision and digestion. They contain healthy vitamins, minerals and fiber.
- Mexican Guacamole Bruschetta
- Chicken Street Tacos
- Crispy Pork Carnitas
- Healthy Black Bean Dip
- Grilled Corn and Avocado Salad
If you’ve tried this The Best Guacamole or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.Print
The Best Guacamole Recipe
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Diet: Gluten Free
Classic Guacamole that is simple, delicious and can be made with just a few ingredients like avocados, tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and cilantro.
- 5-6 medium avocados, ripe
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Remove the skin and seed from your avocados and add them to a large bowl. Use a fork or a pastry blender to mash them well.
- Add the onion, tomato jalapenos, cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cumin, and salt to the bowl and stir to combine well.
- Give the mixture a taste and add more salt and lime juice to taste.
- Serve right away in your favorite dishes like tacos and salads or use it as a dip for tortilla chips.
- You adjust all of this recipe to your liking, it's very very flexible! If you don't want the jalapenos, leave it out. If you want more cilantro, add it! Make this your own.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Category: side
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make guacamole, guacamole recipe, homemade guacamole, easy guacamole recipe
Guacamole is a quick and easy dip that can elevate any meal. You are going to make this classic dip over and over again.
Leave a Reply