This simple apple hand pies recipe is made by cutting pie crust into circle and filling them with a homemade apple pie filling. Add a top, secure the edges, and then bake, add icing, and enjoy! Hand held mini apple pies are the cutest thing ever!
- 4, 9-inch pie crusts (store bought or a double batch of this homemade pie crust recipe)
- 2 large apples (such as Fuji, Granny Smith, or Gala)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Prep your pie crust if you need to.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into small ¼ inch cubes. Add the apple cubes to a medium bowl.
- Add flour, sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter to the bowl and stir together well.
- Roll out 2 pieces (half) of the pie dough, into two separate 9 inch rounds.
- Place small mounds (roughly a heaping tablespoon) of apple mixture on pie dough with at least 2 inches of space around each mound. You can fit 7 little mounds on the pie crust well.
- Dot the second pie crust with filling.
- Brush around each mound of apple with the beaten egg
- Roll out the other half of the pie crust and place on top of the other prepared crust with the apple on it. This is kind of like you are making ravioli!
- Gently push around each apple filling mound to seal.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out each mound to form an individual pie.
- Place each mini pie on a parchment lined baking sheet .
- Brush the top with more of the beaten egg
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 35-40 minutes.
- While pies cool mix powdered sugar and heavy cream in a small bowl to make your icing.
- Drizzle the icing over warm or cool pies. Enjoy!
- You can roll out the scraps of pie dough leftover from the first cutting and cut a few more cookies if you'd like. Most of the time I just brush the odd scraps with water and then cinnamon and sugar and bake them as "crispies" which is what my mom always did with scraps of pie dough.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple hand pies, apple hand pie recipe, how to make apple hand pies, baked apple hand pies, mini baked apple pie, mini apple pies, apple pie cookies, pie crust cookies