Nothing beats a piping hot homemade chicken pot pie, and this recipe is doable for all levels of home chefs, from novice to expert!
I love a simple comfort food recipe, and I've been sharing hundreds of them like this one on my site for years. You can make this chicken pot pie whether you've been cooking your whole life or have hardly touched your oven and want to give a simple recipe a spin!
Simple Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Mmm, chicken pot pie. Who doesn't love it?! It's such a hearty and classic comfort food that has been a favorite of mine for years and years. But I think because it's technically a pie, we can sometimes overcomplicate what it takes to make chicken pot pie from scratch in our minds. If you're thinking you need the perfect pie crust recipe or have to chop up a hundred types of veggies, think again!
This recipe totally takes it down to the bare bones. With boiled chicken breast and veggies, a few frozen vegetables, cream of chicken soup, and store-bought pie crust, anyone can make this scrumptious pot pie, and in almost no time! (Well, the baking time is about 45 minutes to an hour, but hands on time is pretty minimal!) I can't wait for you to give this recipe a go and enjoy the warm and comforting flavors of chicken pot pie around your kitchen table with your family.
How do you know when chicken pot pie is done?
I bake this chicken pot pie recipe for 45 to 60 minutes in a 375 degree F. oven. Keep an eye on it around the 45-minute mark; you'll know it's done when the top is golden-brown, and the internal temperature should read 160 degrees F.
How do I thicken chicken pot pie?
I really like using cream of chicken soup in the pie filling because it easily adds a creamy and thick texture to the inside of the pie. You can also add a little bit of flour if you prefer a denser filling!
Do you cook chicken pot pie before freezing?
This is such a great questions because y'all know I LOVE freezer meals! You can actually do it either way: baked or unbaked. If you freeze an unbaked pot pie, make sure it's assembled in a pie plate or dish and cover it well with freezer-safe plastic wrap before placing in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can pop it right in the 375 degree F. oven frozen, and just add about 10 minutes of cook time.
If you freeze an already baked pie, be sure to let it cool completely before freezing for up to 3 months. You can also put it straight into the oven frozen, but only bake for 30 to 35 minutes.Print
Nothing beats a piping hot chicken pot pie, and this recipe is doable for all levels of home chefs from novice to expert!
- 1 chicken breast, about ½ pound or less
- 1 cup potatoes (about 1 medium russet potato)
- 1 cup carrots
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- One double pie crust of your choosing (here's my favorite pie crust recipe)
- In a medium pan, add your chicken breast and a few cups of water to cover the chicken. Cook over medium-high heat, until the chicken is cooked through and can be shredded, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the water and shred. Set aside.
- After you have boiled and shredded your chicken breast, throw the potatoes and carrots in the same water, and boil until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add peas and corn for a minute or two to thaw. Drain excess water.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine veggies, cooked chicken, can of soup, and seasonings.
- Divide pie crust into two, rolling both pieces into 9 inch circles. Place one in the bottom of 9 inch pie plate, add guts, wet the ridge of the pie crust with water, top with second pie crust, crimp edges with your fingers, and cut off the extras.
- Cut holes in the top, so steam can vent.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until golden brown in a 375 degree F. oven.
- Serve hot.
- This is one of the oldest recipes on my site! It's so easy and so hearty. If you aren't a fan of canned cream of chicken soup, feel free to make your own homemade version.
- You can add more or less of the veggies as you like. I'll often add green beans, too.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken pot pie, pot pie, easy pot pie recipe, chicken dinner, pie crust, easy dinner
Together great chicken recipes you'll love:
- Easiest Chicken Pumpkin Pot Pie
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
- Shepherd's Pie (beef, not chicken but I feel like it belongs here)
- Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Calzones
- The Best Baked Chicken Legs
- Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
- Italian-Style Chicken and Mushroom Soup
- Garlic and Herb Whole Chicken in the Crock Pot
- How to Cook a Whole Baked Chicken
- The Best Oven Baked Chicken Leg Quarters
- Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken Legs
This post was originally published in 2010, and has been updated and rephotographed in October 2019.
My family and I just adore this simple chicken pot pie recipe for chilly evenings when all we want it something rich and hearty for a comfort food dinner!