This 100% Whole Grain Cornbread recipe is made with real butter and sweetened with honey. It takes about 5 minutes to make and is a delicious whole grain version of old-fashioned cornbread.
- 2 cups Cornmeal
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (finely ground and sifted white whole wheat berries if grinding your own)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.Grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 9×9 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, honey, eggs, and melted butter. Add all of the dry ingredients to the wet and stir quickly just until a thick batter comes together. Don’t over mix.
- Add the batter to the prepared pan, spread it around evenly, and then bake in the hot oven until the top is golden brown and a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container.
- Category: Baking
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whole grain baking, whole grain cornbread recipe, easy cornbread recipe, whole wheat cornbread, healthy cornbread