This easy White Bean Chicken Chili recipe is ready in no time and is the perfect warming soup after a long day! You’ll love this creamy white chicken chili that’s packed with flavor and hearty ingredients.
White Bean Chicken Chili
If you’re a fan of any kind of traditional red chili OR tortilla soup, this white chicken chili basically combines the best of both worlds to create a creamy, flavorful, cozy chili that is so great after a long day. Not only is it full of delicious ingredients, but it comes together super easily with minimal effort or time for a simple meal that tastes grand! You can pair it with my famous cornbread and it will be a meal to remember.
There’s just something so comforting and lovely about a big pot of chili, and this one’s great for a crowd or to freeze leftovers for later on! It makes a bunch and like many chilis, it almost tastes even better on day two. The flavors just have some time to mix and mingle all together and get really incorporated in the best way. I hope you love this simple, heart and soul warming recipe to get you through the cooler months and fill you up with the good stuff after an especially full day!
White Bean Chicken Chili Ingredients
This white bean chicken chili uses easy-to-find ingredients. Nothing fancy here, and that’s part of the charm of this recipe. It’s old fashioned, simple comfort food at it’s best!
Here is what you’ll need to make this chili:
- olive oil
- poblano pepper
- boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- chicken broth
- Great Northern bean
- frozen corn kernels
- Hatch green chilis
- smoked paprika
- garlic powder
- cream, half-and-half, or evaporated milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream, hot sauce, and/or chopped cilantro for serving
How to Make White Bean Chicken Chili
I usually make this recipe in a dutch oven, but you can also make it in a regular heavy pot, in the Instant Pot and in the crock pot. (See sections below for info on how to make this chili in the Instant Pot and crock pot.)
Heat the oil and cook your onions & pepper: In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Add the onion and poblano pepper, and cook until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken: Add the chicken and stir until the chicken is mostly cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Add your garlic and spices: Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and salt, and stir to combine. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the broth and remaining ingredients: Add the chicken broth, beans, corn, and green chilis. Stir to combine.
Simmer: Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Add the cream & adjust seasonings: Remove from the heat and stir in the cream (or half-and-half or evaporated milk). Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
Dig in: Serve hot with your choice of toppings!
How to make white bean chicken chili in the Instant Pot:
The Instant Pot will have your white bean chicken chili ready in a snap! Add the prepared chicken, beans, onion, poblano, corn, garlic, Hatch green chiles, spices, and broth to the pot, and stir lightly. Switch the lid to “sealing” and cook for 20 minutes on manual high pressure. Let it naturally release pressure for 10 minutes and then switch it to “venting.” Stir in the cream or milk and serve with optional garnishes!
How to make white bean chicken chili in the crock pot:
Oooh, you know I love a slow cooker meal. And this one is fantastic. Add all the ingredients, except for the cream/half-and-half/evaporated milk, into the slow cooker, gently stir to incorporate everything together, and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Stir in the dairy and serve!
White Bean Chicken Chili FAQs
How do you make white bean chicken chili thicker?
Easy, easy! Just reduce the liquid in the recipe by a quarter cup, or blend up one of the cans of beans before adding to create a super rich and thicker consistency.
Can I freeze white bean chicken chili?
TOTALLY! Chili is one of the best (and one of my favorite) freezer meals. After the chili is cooled, spoon it into an airtight, freezer-safe container, close the lid on tight, and freeze for up to 3 to 4 months. To reheat, let the chili thaw in the fridge overnight before placing leftovers back in the Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat until heated through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
How can I make this chili even more creamy?
For added creaminess, pour in an additional 1/2 cup of cream, half-and-half, or evaporated milk to the chili (so 1 1/2 cups total).
This easy White Bean Chicken Chili recipe is ready in no time and is the perfect warming soup after a long day! You’ll love this creamy white chicken chili!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn frozen corn kernels
- 1 can diced Hatch green chilis (8 ounces in your heat preference)
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cream, half-and-half, or evaporated milk
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream, hot sauce, and/or chopped cilantro for serving
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and poblano pepper, and cook until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir until the chicken is mostly cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and salt, and stir to combine. Cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, beans, corn, and green chilis. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cream (or half-and-half or evaporated milk).
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with your choice of toppings.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: white chicken chili, easy chicken chili, white bean chili, crockpot chicken chili, best chicken chili
Want To Save This Recipe?
White bean chicken chili is a perfect warm and cozy soup with big flavor, healthy ingredients, and a creamy, irresistible texture that you will love, and it’s so, so simple to make!
Give these amazing chili recipes a try:
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Loaded Nacho Supreme Chili
- Easy Turkey Pumpkin Chili
- Dutch Oven Wild Game Chili
- Quick and Easy Chili
Don’t forget the cornbread: