Sweet and simple sour cream cornbread recipe that is slightly dense and moist, not too crumbly, and perfect with a bowl of soup or chili.
When I was a kid my mom made Jiffy cornbread from that fun little blue box. Her secret touch was to add a little sour cream to the mix to make it more moist and a little thicker than how it normally cooks.
I’ve taken a page from her book and am sharing a great recipe for sour cream cornbread. The sour cream in the cornbread recipe replaces part of the oil and helps to make the cornbread a bit thicker and denser than traditional cornbread. It makes a great cornbread that is sweet but doesn’t fall apart. I love this recipe to serve alongside chili and it’s a great one if you are going to make tamale pie. It’s also perfect for buttering up with lots of honey butter.
Last plug for this recipe – it only takes 5 minutes to stir together and another 20 minutes to bake. That means in less than a half hour you can have a hot bread side dish on the table. It’s so quick and easy! I love to have cornbread ready when I make things like soups and chilis. It rounds out the meal and it’s a good option for kids who don’t love what you made (tell me I’m not the only one who has a kid who doesn’t love chili as much as you do!?).
Tips and Tricks for Making Sour Cream Cornbread:
- Because you are replacing the fat/oil in this recipe with sour cream I have found it best to use full fat sour cream and not light.
- Use yellow cornmeal in this recipe. White works fine, but it just doesn’t look the same. Golden yellow cornbread is a must. Also, don’t try to sub any of the cornmeals used for making tamales – they are a different grind and the texture doesn’t come out the same.
- This recipe is great with a drizzle of honey, butter, honey butter, or just as it is. I like to serve it with lentil chili, vegetarian chili (made in the Instant Pot!), or next to simple baked chicken legs with some roasted veggies or a salad on the side. It goes well with lots of things.
- How fun is it cooked in the cast iron pan? I just grease it and cook it in cast iron like you would any other pan. I think you need one.
- I have made this recipe gluten-free by simply swapping out the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free baking blend and it worked perfectly.
You’ll love this sweet and easy sour cream cornbread recipe that is slightly dense and moist, not too crumbly, and perfect with a bowl of soup or chili.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven for 400 degrees F and lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish or a 9-inch round pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the sour cream, egg, and melted butter.
- Slow mix the ingredients until everything comes together, taking care not to over mix.
- Add the prepared batter to the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the cornbread is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving hot.
Keywords: easy cornbread recipe, sour cream cornbread, sweet cornbread recipe, baking with sour cream
If you love this easy sour cream cornbread recipe, you might also like these:
- The Best Cornbread Recipe
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins
- Cornbread Waffles with Chili: 15 Minute Dinner
- Easy Turkey Pumpkin Chili
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
Enjoy from my kitchen to yours, friends; it’s a good one.