The best white sandwich bread that is perfect for making sandwiches. It's SO soft and fluffy and isn't at all crumbly. It is the most amazing texture that is just perfect!
One skill that I think everyone should acquire is the ability to make homemade bread. There is something so satisfying about baking bread from scratch. I love that simple ingredients like flour and yeast can turn into a beautiful loaf that can feed my family.
Soft White Bread Recipe
Have you ever noticed that sometimes homemade bread isn’t the best for making sandwiches because it’s crumbly and falls apart? This recipe incorporates a few key ingredients like potato flakes, gluten, and powdered milk. Using these in the recipe creates a bread that doesn’t crumble when you cut it, making it ideal for sandwiches.
This white sandwich bread holds up like store-bought bread but it is so much tastier. It is simple to make and your family will be fighting over the first piece!
What type of mixer is best for bread making?
You will have the best success making bread with either a Bosch stand mixer or a KitchenAid. If you don’t have either, you can hand mix the dough by hand but it will require a bit of elbow grease! Don't skip the long kneading time, it's what develops the gluten and helps the bread to not be crumbly.
How Do You Make Bread Lighter and Fluffy?
There's a few things that really help. Sticking with white flour helps and adding a few extras like potato flakes, gluten, and kneading it a long time are the keys to making a really soft bread that HOLDS TOGETHER. That's why this recipe is perfect for sandwiches!
How do I store homemade bread?
To keep bread soft you will want to store it in an airtight bag or container. You can order bread bags online that will keep the bread fresh as well. Homemade bread also does well in the freezer when stored properly.
More bread recipes:
- Mom’s 4 Loaf Wheat Bread Recipe (SO good!)
- The Best Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- How to Make Homemade Bread (with no eggs, milk, or butter)
- Mom’s Easy French Bread Recipe
- My Favorite Go-To Sourdough Bread Recipe
The most perfect white bread recipe out there that doesn't fall apart because of special ingredients like potato flakes, and yeast!
- 2 ¼ cups warm water
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup nonfat dry milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or oil
- ½ cup potato flakes
- 5-6 cups all-purpose flour
- stick of butter to butter the tops of the bread
- Add water, yeast, sugar, wheat gluten, salt, dry milk, oil, potato flakes, and 4 cups of flour to the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment.
- Mix on low for 10-12 minutes (this is machine kneading).
- After the mixing time, add additional flour, ¼ cup at a time. The dough is ready when it isn’t too sticky and can be handled. Give the dough time to work the flour in before adding more.
- If it is gooey, add flour and mix after each addition, until the dough can be worked with your hands without sticking to them. I generally add 5.5 to the full 6 cups total flour for this recipe. It will depend some on your kitchen conditions and flour.
- Form the dough into a smooth bowl and add it back to your mixing bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise for 1 hour.
- Remove it from the bowl.
- Divide the dough into two even pieces and form each piece into a loaf.
- Place the dough in 2 greased loaf pan and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until the dough is about 1 inch above the rim of the bread pan.
- Bake at 375℉ for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
- Remove from the oven and grease the tops of the loaf with a little bit of butter.
- Remove the bread from the pans and allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing (you can slice warm but the texture is best once it has cooled and the bread has set).
- Once the bread has completely cooled, store leftovers in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the fridge for up to 5 days, and in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Non-fat dry milk can be found near the canned evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk. You can also find it near specialty flours (sometimes it's called baking milk blend). It's a dry milk product and it has a great shelf life. This is the only recipe I use it for and it keeps great.
- I just use normal old potato flakes, like the kind you would make instant mashed potatoes with, for this recipe. Nothing special there and again, they are very shelf stable.
- Vital wheat gluten will be near the specialty flours or just in the baking isle. Again, you might need to collect up these "specialty" ingredients but they won't spoil quickly and you'll make this bread often enough to use them up!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: side dish
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: white bread, white bread recipe, how to make bread, homemade bread, homemade bread recipe, sandwich bread, sandwich bread recipe, fluffy bread, fluffy bread recipe
White bread recipe is such a good recipe to have in your back pocket. You will love how soft, chewy, and delicious this bread is. Perfect for making sandwiches, toast, and even French toast!