Quick and easy pickled cucumbers with onion made in the refrigerator; our favorite way to use summer cucumbers![adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id="OED9vtlc" upload-date="2019-06-27T17:07:26.000Z" name="Quick Pickled Cucumbers" description="Quick and easy pickled cucumbers with onion made in the refrigerator; our favorite way to use summer cucumbers!" player-type="default" override-embed="default"]
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vinegar (apple cider, white, and rice wine are all good)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- sliced garden cucumbers (about 2 cups)
- sliced onion or green onion (about 1/2 cup)
- additional vegetables as you like (bell pepper, whole cherry tomatoes, etc.)
- In a small bowl add the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Stir to combine and until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Add the cucumber and onion. Taste and adjust the ingredients to your liking.
- All the cucumbers should be covered in the brine, if you have lots of cucumber or are making a big batch, make more brine.
- Let the mixture rest in the fridge until you are ready to eat. The flavors develop over time, so an overnight soak is great but mine are normally gone by dinner.
- I love adding the sugar and my mom does too, but my grandma doesn't add that much (she only adds a few teaspoons). I say try it and see what you like.
- White vinegar is the traditional vinegar for this recipe and a great place to start. If you know that you like apple cider or rice wine vinegar they are also good.
- You really can't mess this up. Just adjust to taste and enjoy!
- The pickles will last at least a week in the fridge but get less crisp as time goes on.
- You can reuse your brine a time or two, just add more cucumbers!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Refrigerator
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy pickles recipe, refrigerator pickles recipe, pickled cucumbers recipe