This easy Potatoes au Gratin recipe is made using whole potatoes (no peeling needed), cream, butter, and cheese and are done in less than an hour.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 large baking potatoes or 8 smaller potatoes (about 2 pounds total)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk (whole or 2%)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a baking dish with the softened butter.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes clean but don't worry about peeling them. Slice the potatoes into thick slices (somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick), then stack the slices and cut them into 4 pieces. Put all of the potato pieces in the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a small bowl whisk the cream, milk, flour, garlic, salt, and pepper together. Pour the mixture over the potatoes.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Add the cheese to the hot dish and bake for another 3-5 minutes until the cheese is all melted. Serve hot.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, switch out the 2 tablespoons of flour with 1 tablespoon of corn starch.
- Keep any leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Potatoes au Gratin Recipe, Pioneer Woman recipe, how to make potatoes au gratin, potatoes au gratin, easy potatoes au gratin