Simple oven roasted red potatoes are one of life's simple pleasures. When basics like potatoes are cooked well they can really be a star side dish you can add to any meal!
- 2 pounds potatoes (I like to use red potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons light oil, such as canola, avocado, or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Scrub the potatoes clean and then cut them into 1 to 1.5 inch pieces.
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl and drizzle with the oil. Toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the garlic powder, salt, and paprika over the oily potatoes and toss to combine well. Feel free to use your hands if that's easier.
- Spread the potatoes out on a large rimmed baking sheet that is NOT lined with parchment or a baking mat. It's a bit more to clean up but you get a crispier potato if you don't line the pan.
- Spread them out in an even layer and take care to keep them from touching too much. If the potatoes are are too close together they'll steam instead of roast.
- Place the baking pan in the hot oven and bake until the potatoes are cooked through and crisp, about 35 to 45 minutes. I tend to bake them the longer amount because I like mine crisp. Check them out at 35 minutes and keep an eye on them.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool 1 minute on the tray. Use a thin spatula to remove them to a serving dish and serve with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- If you have a time you can prepare and cut your potatoes and then soak them in warm water for 30 minutes before you cook them. Before baking, drain and then pat dry (don't skip the drying!) and then add to a bowl and add the oil and spices. Soaking potatoes removed some of the starch and helps them to cook up crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside. It's options but a fun little trick if you have the time!
- I've tried this with white, yellow, and red potatoes, they all worked great.
- You can leave the skin on or peel your potatoes. It's really just a personal preference thing, so do what you like and what you have time for.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: side dish
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to roast potatoes, oven roasted potatoes, roasted potatoes, roasted red potatoes, roasted potato recipe