Oven roasted carrots are a quick, healthy, and delicious side dish that take only minutes to prep. Simply toss them in olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and throw them in the oven.
I love a simple side dish that packs a punch. Roasted carrots would be a perfect addition to any Sunday dinner, Thanksgiving feast, or to add flavor to your weekday meal.
Roasting carrots in the oven brings out such a rich flavor. I love cooking with them because they are affordable but also taste amazing. The high cooking temperature brings out the nature sweetness in the carrots and they are a favorite side dish in our house.
My kiddos join in on the prep because they love peeling vegetables and I love spending time with them in the kitchen win-win!
Do you peel carrots before roasting?
I prefer to peel the carrots first. It gives them a nice, clean look. Scrub the carrots with a vegetable brush first and then peel. If you prefer to not peel them just scrub them up well to remove any dirt. There’s no issue with leaving the peels on.
What is the best temperature for roasting vegetables?
Roasting vegetables requires a higher temperature than typical baking. I like to cook carrots in the oven at 400 degrees F. This temperature helps them caramelize while cooking without burning before they are tender.
How do I slice carrots for roasting?
The goal with cutting up your carrots it to try to cut each slice approximately the same size so they all roast evenly. I try to get them all close to the same length and I’ll cut the really thick pieces in half while leaving the thinner carrot tips whole. Cutting them about 4 inches long is a great size for this recipe.
More roasted vegetable recipes:
- Extra Crispy Roasted Potato Cubes
- Easy Roasted Beets
- The Best Oven Roasted Spaghetti Squash
- Easy Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
A quick and easy recipe on how to make roasted carrots in the oven – made only with carrots, oil, and a little seasoning. Roasting at a high temperature makes them amazing.
- 2 pounds carrots
- 2 tablespoons oil, such as canola, olive oil, avocado oil
- scant 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scrub your carrots clean. Peel if desired.
- Cut the carrots into uniform sizes. I like to cut mine into 4 inch long pieces and then cut any of the thickest pieces in half along the length of the carrot.
- Add the carrots to a medium mixing bowl.
- Drizzle with the oil and then sprinkle on the salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine.
- Place the carrots on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake the carrots for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes check on your carrots. If they are cooking too fast on the bottom, stir them on the pan before you continue baking. If they aren’t getting to dark on the bottom, no need to stir.
- Continue baking for an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
- Serve hot.
- Carrots can vary a lot in size, so again, the goal is to cut them so that they are about the same thickness and length so that they cook evenly.
- If you like a bit of char on your carrots, don’t line your pan with anything. If you prefer less of a crispy carrot you can line your pan with parchment, foil, or a baking mat and that will help them not get as dark.
- Category: side dish
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted carrots, oven roasted carrots, how to roast carrots, how to cook carrots in oven, oven baked carrots
Want To Save This Recipe?
What you need for roasted carrots:
- Olive oil
Seriously, the list is so short! This is going to become a favorite in your house too because it’s so easy.
How to roast carrots:
- Prep the carrots by washing, peeling, and cutting into even pieces.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place sliced carrots on a covered sheet pan.
- Roast for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Oven roasted carrots are an affordable and healthy addition to any meal. They are so quick, easy, and most importantly delicious. I can’t wait for you to make this week!