My Easy Lemon Meringue Pie recipe has a tart, lemony custard inside with the fluffiest meringue topping. It’s a perfect spring and summer time dessert!
- 1 pie crust, blind baked and cooled
For the Lemon Filling:
- 5 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup water
For the Meringue Topping:
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks, and place the yolks and whites in separate bowls. Take care to not break any of the yolks or let any yolk get into the whites. The whites won’t whip up if there’s any fat from the yolks in them.
- Begin making the lemon filling by combining sugar, cornstarch, lemon zest, lemon juice, and water together in a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, and cook for 5 additional minutes until thick and creamy, stirring continuously. Take off heat.
- Temper the egg yolks by adding a spoonful of hot lemon mixture into the egg yolks. Stir and repeat with one more spoonful of mixture.
- Add tempered eggs back into lemon mixture, and cook for 90 seconds, or until mixture is thick with large bubbles bursting at the surface, stirring constantly.
- Pour lemon mixture into prepared crust, and set aside.
- Make meringue by combining cornstarch and water in a small pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Whisk frequently until thickened. Once the mixture is translucent, remove from heat. It should be thick and have a gel-like quality. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar and cream of tartar. Set aside.
- Whip the egg whites (with whisk attachment if using a stand mixer) until they become frothy. Once frothy, add in sugar mixture one spoonful at a time. Beat for about 20 seconds after each sugar addition.
- Once you have added all the sugar, add in cornstarch mixture one spoonful at a time.
- Beat until egg whites form stiff peaks, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Spoon meringue onto lemon filling.
- Use a spatula or butter knife to create peaks in the meringue.
- Place pie in oven, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden-brown.
- Let cool at room temperature, and then place in the refrigerator to cool for 3 to 6 hours before serving. Enjoy!
- Egg whites don’t like fat or grease, so be sure to not let any yolk break into the whites, even a little. And when whipping the whites, be sure your bowl and beaters are well washed and free from any grease or oil residue.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon meringue pie, how to make meringue for pie, lemon pie. best lemon meringue, homemade, easy