This is the perfect made to order lemonade or Lemon Shake-Up Recipe.
Lemon Shake-Up Recipe
The tiny town of Hope, Indiana has an annual fall gathering called Heritage Days. Like most small town yearly events it includes a parade, shopping for junk at little booths, and food. The food is always the best part ! I have such vivid memories of the food from Heritage Days. There was homemade ice cream, funnel cakes, homemade cherry hand pie (fresh fried by the Little Hoosiers for a fundraiser, and if you even know what I'm talking about we are meant to be best friends).
And then there were the lemon shake-ups. I can't remember who did the booth, the Moravian church maybe, but I can remember loving to watch them make that perfect drink right in front of me. It was the ideal treat for a muggy Indiana afternoon at Hope Heritage Days. When I decided to participate in the Long Valley Farmer's Market this year I knew that I just had to make and sell the fresh lemonade that I loved so much as a kid.
I had a hard time finding a recipe, so I had to do some serious recipe testing (hard life!). This is the perfect made to order lemonade or lemon shake-up recipe. I know that I could make a big batch of fresh lemonade ahead of time and just pour it from a pitcher, but half the fun is squeezing the lemons right in front of the customer, giving it a shake, and filling the glass. This is a really fun thing to make and sell, but it is also really fun to have at family parties! My kids think it's so fancy when they get to help make lemonade like this.
How long does homemade lemonade last?
If refrigerated, homemade lemonade should last about 5 to 7 days.
Do lemons go bad?
Lemons will stay good for about 3-4 weeks but over time, they will lose their aroma, become squishy, or even slimy. Never use a lemon if you see signs of mold.
An easy and refreshing lemonade recipe you can make in a jiffy!
- ½ cup simple syrup, recipe in the notes
- juice of one lemon
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup ice
- Add the simple syrup, lemon juice, and water to a drink shaker and shake until well combined. Pour over ice in a large cup. Add a fresh lemon slice for a garnish if desired. Best. Lemonade. Ever. And if you like it a little more tart, cut the simple syrup down to ⅓ cup.
- If you don't have a drink shaker just pour everything in the cup and stir. I use the shaker because it strains the lemon seeds out which is nice because I serve my lemonade with a straw. Straws and seeds don't mix well.
Simple syrup is even parts sugar and water heated in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water make just the right amount to store in a quart mason jar in the fridge and will make at least a dozen glasses of lemonade.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy lemonade recipe, how to make simple syrup, lemon drink recipe
Craving more lemonade goodness? Try these:
- Easy Homemade Lemonade Recipe
- Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade
- Strawberry Lemonade Slushie
- Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
- 8 Different Homemade Lemonade Recipes
Looking for some more fun and festive drinks? Try my Shirley Temple drink recipe! It's sweet, tangy, and fizzy, with a signature pink color that's sure to add a pop of color to any occasion.
I hope you enjoy this easy and refreshing lemonade recipe you can make in a jiffy!