It’s finally BBQ season and coleslaw makes for the perfect side dish. It is colorful, tasty and you can whip it up in a flash!
I love coleslaw because it's only takes a few minutes to make, it has super simple ingredients, and it's just so good!
Homemade Coleslaw Recipe
Everyone needs a classic coleslaw in your recipe arsenal and this is just the one. It is made with red and green cabbage, carrots, green onions and all tossed together with a simple homemade dressing. To make this recipe come together even faster you can use a coleslaw mix from the store.
Coleslaw is a great side dish with hamburgers, pulled pork sandwiches (I like to put it ON the sandwich!), BBQ chicken-the list can go on and on. If you need to stretch a meal for a gathering than coleslaw is an easy way to do that too.
How do you store coleslaw?
Make sure that you store coleslaw in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will be best used within 3-5 days. Coleslaw starts to get runny and the cabbage gets soft after a night in the fridge which I don't prefer. I try to make as much coleslaw we'll eat and not have too many leftovers.
What is the best way to cut cabbage for coleslaw?
Start by cutting the cabbage in quarters and then cut the core of the cabbage out. Next, slice each quarter into thin shreds. To do this you can use a knife, use a mandolin, or some other type of food shredder. If you are in a rush, just grab a bag of coleslaw mix from the store and you are good to go.
Do you need to wash cabbage before using it?
I like to remove the outer layer of the cabbage and then give the inside a quick rinse for good measure. Wait to wash the cabbage until you are ready to use it. It has really tight leaves though so you are more washing off the bottom where it's root used to be attached.
Why is it called coleslaw?
Fun fact: coleslaw originated in the Netherlands was called “koosla” which means cabbage salad.
More picnic side dishes:
- The Best Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- Classic Potato Salad
- Deli-Style Broccoli Salad
- Grandma Lucy's Baked Beans
- Crispy Homemade Sweet Potato Fries
If you’ve tried this easy coleslaw recipe or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories AND add your photo to your comment so that other can see your creation.Print
Make this quick and easy cole slaw recipe with a homemade dressing, shredded cabbage and carrots, and some green onions. It's simple to make and perfect as a side to any meal.
- ¾ cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups thinly chopped green cabbage
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1.5 cups grated carrot (about 2 large)
- 5 green onions chopped (use white and green parts)
- Add the mayo, vinegar, mustard, sugar, celery seeds, salt, and black pepper to a small bowl.
- Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a large serving bowl add the green cabbage, red cabbage, grated carrot, and green onions. Toss to combine.
- Just before serving add the salad dressing and stir to combine.
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- This is a great side to fried fish and hush puppies or to go on or with a pulled pork sandwich!
- If you are traveling or wanting to make this ahead of time, don't add the dressing to the veggies. Prep the veggies and put them in a bowl and make the dressing and put it in a separate container. Mix them together just before serving.
- If you like a little sweet with your coleslaw feel free to add 1 grated apple to this recipe, I do that often and we love it.
- You can use a 14 ounce bag of coleslaw mix in place of chopping your own veggies for this recipe if you'd like.
- I know many folks don't like mayonnaise (I don't get it, but hey...) sour cream or plain Greek yogurt would be good substitutions for it in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Category: side
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: coleslaw, how to make coleslaw, coleslaw recipe, easy coleslaw, KFC coleslaw recipe
Homemade coleslaw is a dish that you need at your table this summer. It is easy to make, crisp, tangy and full of flavor. I’m excited for it to make an appearance for all of your fun gatherings ahead.