This simple and creamy homemade Coleslaw Dressing can be made in just a couple of minutes and it SO much better than anything you can buy from the store.
This is my go-to dressing for coleslaw but it also tastes really great with lots of different salads. It is one that I like to make often because we use it so much and it is yummy.
This homemade coleslaw dressing is creamy with just the right amount of tanginess. It only contains a few ingredients like mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, celery seeds and salt and pepper. It is quick to whisk up and it really makes the coleslaw if you ask me. I love making this dressing at home versus buying it at the store because I know exactly what is going into it!
My secret ingredient for making a dressing for cole slaw:
I have a mystery ingredient that makes this the best coleslaw dressing ever. Are you ready to be let in on the secret???
Celery seeds. Celery seeds are tiny but they pack a serious punch. It adds a tasty dimension to the dressing that you won’t want to miss out on.
What is coleslaw dressing made of?
Coleslaw dressing only uses a handful of ingredients like mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, celery seeds and salt and pepper. There are other variations but this is the most classic dressing in my book.
Why do people put coleslaw on BBQ sandwich?
Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it! Coleslaw on a barbecue sandwich gives some crunch that you would miss out on otherwise. It adds so much flavor too. Try putting coleslaw on your next pulled pork sandwich-you will not be sorry!
How long does coleslaw dressing last?
It will stay fresh in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to one week.
Can I use a sugar substitute instead of the sugar when making coleslaw dressing?
Feel free to substitute the sugar in the dressing with Splenda or swerve. Use the same amount as you would sugar. If you want a less sweet dressing, decrease the amount by just a tad.
More picnic salads:
- Classic Potato Salad Recipe
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Deli-Style Broccoli Salad
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Classic Tuna Pasta Salad
- Cornbread Salad
If you’ve tried this easy coleslaw dressing recipe or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories AND add your photo to your comment so that other can see your creation.Print
This classic coleslaw dressing recipe is make with mayo, a little vinegar, sugar, and a few simple secret spices and it's perfect to top your favorite coleslaw recipe or any other salad that you like.
- ¾ cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the mayo, vinegar, mustard, sugar, celery seeds, salt, and black pepper to a small bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Serve over your favorite salad.
- This is a perfect amount of dressing for a 14 ounce bag of coleslaw salad mix or about 8 cups of chopped cabbage.
- You can find my full coleslaw recipe, using this dressing recipe here.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week and use as you'd like for a salad dressing or to make 1 large batch of coleslaw.
- You can use this one any kind of salad, cabbage, or mixed greens that you like. It's a delicious general salad dressing.
- Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to a week.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Category: side
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cole slaw dressing, how to make cole slaw dressing, dressing for cole slaw
Homemade Coleslaw Dressing is creamy, tangy and has just the right amount of sweetness. It takes the traditional coleslaw salad to a whole new level.