Wondering what to do with your leftover ham? Try whipping up this quick and easy Ham Salad made with celery and mayonnaise. Delicious for after the holidays and done in 5 minutes.
One of the reasons I like to serve ham is for the yummy leftover options. After cooking a big holiday meal, it feels so nice to throw something together that tastes great and can feed a crowd if you still have company around. Ham salad is the perfect post holiday lunch option but can be served as an appetizer or even dinner.
Homemade Ham Salad Recipe
Ham salad is very similar to tuna salad. You can use your leftover cooked ham or cooked ham from the store. Simply chop the ham into small pieces and mix with celery, mayo and serve on a roll, toasted bread, croissant or as a cracker spread. So fast and delicious!
If you want to really speed up the process you can put the ham in a food processor instead of chopping it into small pieces. Depending on the amount of people you are feeding, you can stretch the size of the ham salad by adding a few hard boiled eggs to the mix too. Great for flavor and for bulking up the salad.
Does Ham Salad freeze well?
I wouldn’t freeze ham salad. Mayonnaise tends to separate once it has been frozen.
What kind of ham is best for making ham salad?
This recipe is great to use your leftover holiday ham. I use boneless cooked ham but any cooked ham will do. You know those blocks of pressed ham you can get? Those work great too if you don't have any leftovers.
How do I store leftover ham salad?
Leftover ham salad should be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will stay good for up to 5 days.
More sandwich recipes:
- Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Cucumber Sandwich
- The Ultimate Turkey Sandwich
- The Ultimate Hummus and Veggie Sandwich
- Homemade Subway Bread Recipe (this hoagie bun recipe would be great with the ham salad!)
If you’ve tried this Ham Salad sandwich recipe or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories AND add your photo to your comment so that other can see your creation.Print
You'll love this simple ham salad recipe made with cooked ham, celery, mayo, onions, and more. Perfect on toasted bread!
- 1 pound cubed cooked ham
- ½ to 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup finely celery, chopped
- ¼ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 slices bread
- Lettuce leaves
- In a food processor, combine ham, ½ cup of mayonnaise, celery, green onions, and salt. Pulse until creamy and finely chopped.
- Transfer ham salad into a bowl and stir in additional mayo, if needed. Cover and chill 1 to 4 hours.
- Spread on six slices of bread. Top with lettuce and remaining bread slices.
- You can use leftover ham or any precooked ham that you have for this recipe (like the smaller pressed hams or cooked holiday ham).
- The food processor makes light work of this dish but you can finely chop everything if you don't have one.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ham salad, how to make ham salad, ham salad sandwiches, ham salad recipe, ham salad sandwich recipe, ham salad on toast
Ham Salad is a recipe that you want to keep in your tool bag. It is such a simple way to use leftover ham and give you a break in the kitchen during the holidays.