I have discovered the best sandwich bread ever! This bread will take all of your sandwiches to the next level. It also makes delicious toast or French toast.
You can assume that I have made A LOT of bread in my day. Some bread recipes just don’t hold up well for making sandwiches with all the fixings. This bread is simple to make, will bake tall and it tastes so good!
Homemade sandwich bread is a recipe that everyone should master and have in their repertoire. It is so satisfying to bake your own bread and serve it to your family.
If you are new to working with yeast, don’t be scared! There is never a better time to learn that right now. I will give you all of the steps you need to create this perfect sandwich bread.
Is it healthier to bake your own bread?
I am a big fan of making your own bread at home. As with anything homemade, when you cook something yourself, you know exactly what is going into your food. Buying bread from the store typically has more preservatives in order to increase the shelf life.
How do I know if my yeast is rising?
You will know if your yeast is alive and well if after a few minutes you begin to see bubbles and form start to form on top. Look for your yeast to double in size and it should let off a yeast aroma.
What is the best way to keep bread fresh?
Don’t refrigerate bread! This will cause the bread to go stale quicker than at room temperature. If you aren’t going to be able to eat your bread within 1-3 days, the best way to keep bread fresh is to store it in an airtight container or sack in the freezer. When you are ready to eat it, simple take it out to thaw and enjoy. Another option is to make French toast before the bread turns bad.
Do I need a stand mixer to make bread?
While it makes the process easier to have a Bosch stand mixer or a kitchenmaid mixer, you can definitely make this bread by hand. It’ll just require more elbow grease.Print
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 Tablespoon yeast
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 + cups whole wheat flour
- In your stand mixer bowl combine the first 7 ingredients (Orange juice through salt) and 1 cup of the flour.
- Mix with the dough hook for 5 minutes to get the gluten going. The OJ is important… the acid is supposed to break down some of the roughness of the whole wheat – don’t leave it out.
- Gradually add the rest of your flour, one cup at a time until you have reached 4 cups. Let the dough knead in the bowl for 4 or 5 minutes. After that kneading is through, turn off the mixer and feel the dough. It should be tacky without sticking to your hands. If it is too sticky, add a little more flour until if doesn’t stick.
- Once the proper constancy is reached, place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and tightly cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. After dough has risen, form your loaf and place it in a well buttered loaf pan and let it rise for 1 hour. 15 minutes before dough is done rising, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 10 minutes and then lightly cover with foil so that the top doesn’t brown too much. Bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes with the foil on. Wait at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Want To Save This Recipe?
I hope you try this delicious sandwich bread. Trust me, your sandwiches will not be the same!