If you've been on the lookout for a treat that combines the best of two worlds, look no further. We're talking about none other than Brookies – the delightful and decadent lovechild of brownies and cookies. Get ready to embark on a flavor adventure that will have your taste buds doing the happy dance!
Imagine a dessert that's part fudgy brownie, part chewy cookie, and entirely scrumptious. Brookies are like the dessert version of a fusion dance, where two beloved treats collide to create something even more extraordinary. It's like the culinary equivalent of a superhero team-up – sweet, satisfying, and utterly unforgettable.
Why Do People Love Brookies?
Is it the soft and gooey brownie base that makes your heart skip a beat? Or maybe it's the satisfyingly chewy cookie layer that adds an extra dimension of delight. Whatever it is, brookies have captured the hearts (and stomachs) of dessert enthusiasts worldwide for a few delicious reasons:
- Textural Tango: Brookies offer the best of both worlds – the rich, dense texture of brownies and the delightful chewiness of cookies. It's like a dance party in your mouth!
- Flavor Fusion: The combination of rich cocoa flavors and the sweetness of chocolate chips in the brownie layer, along with the unique flavor profile of your chosen cookie dough, creates a symphony of taste that's hard to resist.
- Ultimate Indulgence: Let's face it – sometimes you just can't choose between a brownie and a cookie. With brookies, you don't have to! They're the ultimate indulgence that satisfies all your dessert cravings in one glorious bite.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Dough:
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
Ingredients for Brownie Batter:
- Unsweetened chocolate
- Vanilla extract
Keep scrolling to find a full, printable recipe with a detailed ingredient list.
- First you are going to make the chocolate chip dough. Add all of the ingredients and set aside.
- Now make the brownie batter: Melt chocolate and butter, mix with sugar, eggs, vanilla.Stir in flour, baking powder, salt.
- It's time to assemble and bake. Pour brownie batter into pan. Then spoon chocolate chip dough on top. Swirl for marbled effect.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 35-40 minutes.
- Enjoy your brookies!
Frequently Asked Questions
Brookies are a delightful dessert that combines the flavors and textures of brownies and cookies. They consist of a fudgy brownie layer topped with spoonfuls of cookie dough, creating a harmonious blend of two classic treats.
Absolutely! The beauty of brookies lies in their versatility. You can use your favorite cookie dough, whether it's chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal, or even snickerdoodle. Experiment with different cookie dough flavors to create your own unique brookie experience.
The key to achieving the perfect texture is in the baking time. You want the brownie layer to be cooked through but still slightly fudgy, while the cookie dough on top should be golden brown and chewy. Test the brookies with a toothpick – it should come out with a few moist crumbs for the ideal gooeyness.
- Easy Fudgy Brownies
- Lunch Lady Brownies
- The Ultimate Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Sundaes
- Edible Cookie Dough
- The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
If you’ve tried this homemade Brookies recipe or any other recipe on Bless This Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
For the Cookie Dough:
- ¾ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For the Brownie Batter:
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Start by preparing the cookie dough. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg to the creamed butter mixture and continue to mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda. Gradually add these dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate chips until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough. Set the cookie dough aside while you prepare the brownie batter.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 13x9 inch baking pan with baking spray or additional butter.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt together the chocolate and butter for the brownie batter over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent the chocolate from burning.
- Once the chocolate and butter have melted together, remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt for the brownie batter. Gradually stir these dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture until fully combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading it out evenly with a spatula.
- Using a spoon or cookie scoop, drop large dollops of the cookie dough onto the surface of the brownie batter. You can create a pattern or drop them randomly, based on your preference.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the brookies comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Brookies, a delightful combination of brownies and cookies, offer the best of both worlds. The gooey brownie layer and the chewy cookie top create a wonderful textural contrast.
- Feel free to experiment with different types of chocolate chips in the cookie dough - milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate would all work well.
- Be cautious not to overbake the brookies. They should still be a bit gooey in the middle when you take them out of the oven, as they will continue to cook slightly as they cool.
- These treats can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week, or frozen for longer storage.
Brookie cookie bars are basically the ultimate dessert. Fudgy, chewy, and irresistibly scrumptious, they bring the best of both worlds to your taste buds. Whether you're baking for fun or treating your cravings, Brookies are the answer.