Lunch Lady Brownies are thick, fudgy, and not too “dark”. They are perfect for the milk chocolate lovers in your life. What makes them so delicious? The thick layer of frosting on the top.
Rumor has it that this is the same recipe passed down from years and years of lunch ladies. Do you remember these same brownies being served at your school lunch for dessert? Making these at home is simple and tastes so good!
Lunch Lady Brownies
Is there a more classic dessert than brownies?! I love homemade brownies because they taste delicious but they are also quick to whip up, easy to serve, you can make in advance, and they travel well. Sounds like a winner in my book.
Chocolate frosted brownies are really easy to make and perfect for a budding chef to bake. In a large bowl add the melted butter, cocoa, and sugar. Then add the eggs, vanilla and then mix well. Add the flour and stir until combined. Now place the batter in the baking dish making sure to spread it out nice, even, and all the way to the edges and bake for 22-25 minutes.
The frosting is a must and totally levels up the brownies. Pro tip: frost the brownies while they are still warm for the most delicious results.
How can I tell when brownies are done baking?
The best way to make sure your brownies are cooked all the way through is to insert a toothpick into the center of the pan. If it comes out clean they are done.
Is it better to cut brownies warm or cold?
As tempting as it is to dive into a pan of brownies, you’ll get the best results if you wait to cut them until they are completely cooled. If you cut them before they are thoroughly cooled, you will end up with a gooey mess. To get nice, clean edges just wait to cut them. And because we have frosted these brownies, making sure they are cool will help the frosting not to melt too.
How long will brownies stay fresh?
Brownies taste the best when they are eaten in 3-4 days. However, it is rare that they make it past day 1 at our house. That being said, I think these brownies with chocolate frosting on top last longer than a traditional brownie. The frosting seems to help hold in the moisture.
More Brownie Recipes
- Small Batch Double Chocolate Brownies
- The Ultimate Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Sundaes
- Homemade Triple Chocolate Brownies
- Cheesecake Brownies
- Perfect Every Time Brownies
If you’ve tried this Lunch Lady Brownie recipe or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories AND add your photo to your comment so that other can see your creation.Print
Lunch Lady Brownies are thick, fudgy, and not too “dark”. They are perfect for the milk chocolate lovers in your life and you won’t believe how great the chocolate frosting is on top of a chewy brownie.
For the Brownies
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
For the Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 9 by 13 inch baking dish well.
- In a large bowl add the melted butter, cocoa, and sugar. Beat until well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour and stir until combined.
- Place the batter in the baking dish and spread it out evenly. It will be very thick, so make sure it gets to all of the edges of the pan.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- To make the frosting add the butter, milk, vanilla, and cocoa to a large bowl and beat until the mixture comes together, about 2 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and salt and beat until combined. Frost the brownies while they are still slightly warm.
- Let cool and them cut and serve. You are going to love these!
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lunch lady brownies, homemade brownies, how to make brownies, brownies with icing, brownies with frosting, brownies with chocolate frosting, chocolate frosting for brownies recipe
Want To Save This Recipe?
Lunch Lady Brownies are the best brownies you will ever make. They are rich, fudgy, and have the most delicious frosting. I think more brownies with chocolate frosting are needed in your life. I really wish I could bring you a plate.