Slow Cooker Refried Beans are the simplest way to make rich and hearty refried beans at home - they are worlds above their canned counterparts. Homemade refried beans are great for anything from Taco Tuesdays to the side dish for a chicken dinner![adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id="gF9YZMYH" upload-date="2018-04-04T18:37:15.000Z" name="slow cooker refried beans" description="slow cooker refried beans" player-type="default" override-embed="default"]
- 1 bag Hurst's Beans pinto beans (20 ounces)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-3 jalapeño chilis, stemmed, deseeded, and minced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 6 cups good quality chicken or vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Juice from one lime
- Salt and pepper to taste (at least 1 teaspoon)
- Place the Hurst's Beans pinto beans in the bottom of your slow cooker and sort for any debris. Add onion, jalapeño, garlic, and cumin to your slow cooker. Add the vegetable or chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 8-9 hours.
- I like to see if my beans need any more cooking liquid at about 7 hours in. Feel free to add a 1/2 cup as needed through the end of the cooking time.
- After the cooking time, use a potato masher to crush the beans to make a traditional refried bean texture. If the texture is too dry, simple add a little more stock.
- Add the cilantro, lime juice, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Adjust the lime juice, salt, and cumin to taste. Serve warm (can be left in the slow cooker on warm for up to 2 hours). Store any extras in the fridge or freezer.
- Like a super smooth refried bean? Skip the potato masher and process the beans in a food processor or blender, working in batches as needed.
- Double and freeze extras for later.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 8-9 hours
- Category: Side
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: refried beans recipe, Mexican refried beans recipe, easy refried beans recipe, homemade refried beans, best refried beans recipe, healthy bean recipe, easy bean recipe, easy bean side dish, refried beans side dish recipe