Old fashioned buttermilk pie is an easy pie recipe that produces a rich, thick, sweet custard-like center when baked. If you’re expecting company soon, this buttermilk pie recipe is the best dessert to greet them with!
- Single pie crust
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare your pie crust, and place it in the bottom of a deep 9-inch pie plate.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add sugar and flour, and whisk to combine.
- Add the eggs, and whisk to combine.
- Add the butter, buttermilk, vanilla, and pinch of salt, and whisk to combine.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the unbaked prepared pie crust, and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- The center will be set when the pie is done.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Or let cool, cover, and keep in the fridge until serving (I prefer this pie cold).
- You make add a lemon flavor to this by pie adding 1 tablespoon of lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the pie filling before baking.
- I like this pie best cold. Let the pie cool for 2 hours, then cover tightly with plastic wrap, and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- This can be made 1 to 2 days ahead of time.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buttermilk pie recipe, easy buttermilk pie recipe, easy homemade pie recipe, buttermilk pie in the sky, old fashioned buttermilk pie recipe