The crowds always go wild for Monkey bread muffins. They are soft, delicious, gooey, and the best part is that they are individually portioned so you don’t have to share!
For the dough:
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons plus a 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
For the topping:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- To make the dough, combine the flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Stir it all around with a fork to combine.
- Add the milk, buttermilk, and melted butter and stir with the fork until just combined (don't over-mix the dough; it makes it tough). It'll look like sticky biscuit dough.
- Butter a muffin tin and set it aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar to small bowl with a lid. Drop the dough, one teaspoon at a time into the sugar in the bowl. When you have a dozen or so dough balls in the sugar, put the lid on the bowl and shake to roll and coat the dough in the sugar. Remove the lid and place the sugar-coated dough balls in the buttered muffin tin, about 6 dough balls per muffin cup.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- In a small bowl (or the bowl you just used to sugar-coat the dough) mix together the 6 tablespoons melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon for the topping. Pour 1 tablespoon of the topping mixture over each of the muffins.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and wait a full 5 minutes before removing the muffins from the pan (lift then out with a fork).
- Mix together the glaze in a small bowl and drizzle it over the top with a spoon.
- Serve while still warm.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: breakfast
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: monkey bread, monkey bread muffins, monkey bread muffin, monkey bread muffin recipe