Jump into my quick and easy guide on how to pop popcorn in the microwave using just a paper bag — no oil or equipment needed!
How to Pop Popcorn in the Microwave Using Just a Paper Bag
Making popcorn has never been easier! It’s one of my all-time favorite easy and healthy snacks for the whole family. And did you know you can make popcorn in a brown paper bag in the microwave? It’s so simple and doesn’t require any popcorn-making gear that you might’ve *thought* you needed to make popcorn at home (I know that’s what I thought!).
I’m not a huge microwave person, but this is completely an exception because this method is a lifesaver. You don’t need an air-popper, stovetop-popper, or any oil, and you can ditch the store-bought chemical-filled microwaveable popcorn, too! Making it in a paper bag in the microwave is silly easy, and you can have a whole-grain, fiber-filled snack on the regular with little effort on your part! Score.
(I also love adding a little butter and salt. So delicious.)
How do you know when the popcorn is done?
The goal is to pop as many kernels as you can, without burning the popcorn. The time that will take varies depending on the age and water content of the kernels, your area’s climate, and your microwave.
Be sure you stick close by while it’s popping so you don’t end up with burnt popcorn. Listen as it begins to rapidly pop, and when there’s a one-second pause in popping, it’s done. Go ahead an open the microwave and remove the bag.
What are some ways to spice up traditional popcorn?
Butter and salt are always a favorite topping, but you can also get creative and try recipes like my chili lime popcorn, the best sticky caramel corn, or this fun (and non-sticky) spiced caramel corn with white chocolate. All of them are delicious!
What size paper bag do I use to pop popcorn?
You can use just about any size brown paper bag that will fit in your microwave. The little lunch sack size is easy to find, but there’s a size just a bit bigger which also works great.Print
A quick and easy guide on how to pop popcorn in the microwave using just a paper bag, no oil needed. Making popcorn has never been easier!
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 medium brown paper bag
- Melted butter and salt or other seasonings to taste
- Add the popcorn to the paper bag and fold the top over a time or two.
- Microwave on high until the popping has a one second gap in it, 1.5-2.5 minutes.
- Stop the microwave, dump the popped popcorn into a large bowl and season as desired.
- Repeat as needed to get the desired amount of popcorn.
- The goal is to pop as many kernels as you can without burning the popcorn. The time that will take will vary depending on the age and water content of your popcorn, your climate/weather, and your microwave.
- Don’t walk away from the popping or you’ll end up with a bag of burnt popcorn. Stand there and listen until, after the popping starts going rapidly, you hear a one second pause in popping. As soon as you hear that little break, stop the microwave.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: How to pop popcorn, How to pop popcorn microwave, How to pop popcorn in the microwave, Popcorn hacks, How to make popcorn
Want To Save This Recipe?
Looking for more healthy and easy snack ideas?
- No-bake oatmeal bites
- Snacks in a jar
- Easy applesauce cookies
- Healthy Vegan Breakfast Cookies
- Easy & Healthy Banana Muffins Made in the Blender
- Healthy Road Trip Snacks
- Extra Protein Oatmeal Bites
- 9 Energy Bites Recipes Everyone Needs
- Healthy Honey Coconut Granola Recipe
- Easy After School Snacks for the Busy Family
- Healthy Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie
More popcorn recipes you’ll love:
- Gooey Marshmallow Popcorn with Chocolate
- Pretty in Pink Valentine’s Popcorn
- Cheesy Chili Lime Popcorn
- White Chocolate Caramel Corn
This post was originally published in 2018 and has been updated in July 2019.
I hope you found this hack for how to pop popcorn in the microwave using just a paper bag just as genius and exciting as I did! Enjoy fresh popcorn any day of the week and pop on.