Making homemade ice cream in the summer is something that I love to do. I love all things cake batter, so this Cake Batter Ice Cream is perfection.
Homemade Cake Batter Ice Cream
I feel like after a full day of working in the garden/playing/swimming/bike riding, then sitting down to a healthy seasonal meal (like anything on the grill + fresh beans and corn from the garden + sun sweet peaches or melon), that dessert just follows naturally. Eating healthy is pretty easy, since so many delicious things are in season. And getting in lots of sunshine and movement is also a natural part of the summer season, so I have no worries about giving my family a homemade treat after a full day. Ice cream is always at the top of my list of things to make.
Thomas got me this ice cream maker for Mother’s Day a few years ago and I love it. You don’t have to mess with ice and salt, you just freeze the whole bowl instead. Once you add your liquid, it only takes about 20 minutes to make ice cream too, which I think is great. I might have to get a second one as my family gets bigger though, because the 1.5 quarts is just enough right now. The ice cream maker would make a great summer wedding gift too! My sister has the same one (in red), and when she comes to visit she packs it down so that we can make ice cream for all of our kids.
This cake batter ice cream recipe is actually from my sister and one that we make lots and lots. I like that it doesn’t have any eggs and that you don’t have to cook the liquid before churning it because that means I can make it on a whim and it’s done in about 25 minutes. I love all things cake batter, and this ice cream is perfection.
What cake mix is the best when making homemade cake batter ice cream?
You can use just about any cake mix you’d like, and that will change your flavor. I normally make this with Funfetti cake mix, but I’ve also made it with white and yellow cake mix – all of them are delicious. I’m positive that you could use chocolate, cherry, and even lemon cake mix too, depending on the flavor you’d like in the end. No matter what cake mix you choose, this cake batter ice cream is sure to please.
How long do you need to freeze homemade ice cream before serving?
If you like a harder ice cream, put the ice cream in a freezer container and cover. Let it freeze for at least 2 hours before serving. The ice cream straight out of the maker is just like soft-serve. Out of the freezer it is like store-bought.
This cake batter ice cream is perfection. You can make it on a whim with only five ingredients, and it’s done in about 25 minutes! Perfect for parties!
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup cake mix
- In a medium bowl mix together all of the ingredients. You can use just about any cake mix flavor that you’d like (I really like funfetti, white, and yellow cake mix).
- Pour the ice cream mixture in your ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- I use a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker that you just freeze the canister the ice cream is made in. It takes about 15 minutes to make ice cream with no salt and ice to mess with. I love it! If you like a harder ice cream, put the ice cream in a freezer container and cover. Let it freeze for at least 2 hours before serving. The ice cream straight out of the maker is just like soft-serve. Out of the freezer it is like store-bought.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Ice Cream Maker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade ice cream recipe, birthday cake ice cream, dessert, kid favorite
If homemade ice cream is your jam, you might also like:
- Chocolate peanut butter ice cream (my personal favorite)
- Fresh peach ice cream
- Dark chocolate ice cream
- Fresh mint ice cream
- Homemade cheesecake ice cream
- No Machine Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream
- Cereal Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Eggnog Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Seriously, is there anything better than homemade ice cream on the porch in the warm summer evening? I think not. Enjoy!