I’ve been on a healthy smoothie recipe kick lately and I wanted to bring some of my fall favorites into it. This Healthy Pumpkin Protein Smoothie is a little taste of fall that you can have for breakfast! It tastes a lot like a simple pumpkin pie filling or pudding, but it’s thin enough to drink like a normal smoothie. I love this smoothie because it packs in about 20 grams of protein without any protein powder (and if you did add some, you could easily double that amount). The calories and fat will depend a lot on the type of yogurt you use, so I suggest you calculate the nutritional information on your own (I love the My Fitness Pal app for your phone). This is a great breakfast for on-the-go. You can blend up your smoothie, toss it in a thermos or cup with a lid (I use these lids and straws that fit mason jars a lot), and head out the door.
Smoothies are one of those things that you can do a whole lot of changing to to adjust the taste. This smoothie is no exception. Here are a few tips and tricks you can think about as you are making your smoothie:
- You can use vanilla Greek yogurt if you like a sweeter smoothie. You could probably just skip that maple syrup altogether if you go this route though, because the vanilla will come sweetened.
- The nuts that you use can be whatever you like. The pecans had a fall taste to me. If you are new to nuts in smoothies, I would recommend some cashews, because they seem to blend up extra smooth and creamy. Or you can skip the nuts altogether if that’s not your jam.
- The liquid in the smoothie can be changed based on what you have on hand and what you like. You can use the called for almond milk or anything like cow’s milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, or even water (water won’t be nearly as delicious – I’d go with a milk…).
- Don’t skip the ice. Really cold smoothies taste much better than kinda cold smoothies.
- I loved a little pumpkin pie spice in mine – try it!
Craving more? Subscribe to Bless this Mess to get new recipes, meal plans, and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! If you try this pumpkin protein smoothie, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, pin it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #blessthismesseat on Instagram. I love to see your kitchen skills in action!
Healthy Pumpkin Protein Smoothie
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 1 min
- Total Time: 3 minutes
- Yield: 1
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup ice
- 1/2 to 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 ounce pecans
- 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (optional, to taste)
- dash of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- Add all of the ingredients to the jar of your blender and blend until smooth. Start with the lesser amount of almond milk and adjust according to your preference and how well your blender is moving things around (more liquid makes it easier for your blender to process things). Enjoy right away.
This recipe is part of the Pumpkin Week that Cassie from Wholefully and I are working on together. We are sharing a full 7 days of pumpkin recipes, and then ending with a giant round-up of all the pumpkin posts we have on our sites. Today, Cassie is sharing a Roasted Apple and Pumpkin Farro Salad recipe and I’m so excited about it. I love this kind of fun and unique salad! We would love for you to stay tuned for pumpkin goodness all week long! Feel free to share the recipes on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram too, because there’s no such thing as too many pumpkin recipes. You owe it to all your friends. 🙂