Giant Chocolate Chunk Cookies
on Jan 27, 2021, Updated Mar 04, 2024
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Award wining bakery chocolate chunk cookies that have been described as the best cookie in the world.
My friend, Tara, has an awesome new cookbook out. She is a New Yorker and these chocolate chunk cookies are her version from her favorite bakery.
Bakery Chocolate Chunk Cookies
We all need a tried and true cookie recipe that turns out delicious every time. Tara has been sharing this recipe for 20 years. It’s one of those recipes you will make over and over, have it memorized, and can mix it up with your eyes closed.
The trick to these cookies is chilling the dough. Tara explains that chilling the dough prior to baking allows the sugar and flour molecules to absorb into the dough, balances out the flavor, and helps solidify the butter to avoid the cookie being too flat.
Why do my cookies turn out hard?
One culprit could be over mixing the dough. You want the ingredients to be combined but not mixed too much. Also, you might be cooking them a touch too long. Cookies continue to cook on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes after being taken out of the oven. You may need to pull the cookies out a couple of minutes sooner.
What is the best way to freeze cookie dough?
I like to roll the dough into cookie balls and then place on a parchment paper lined sheet. When they are frozen, transfer the cookie balls to a freezer zip-top bag and then freeze. This makes it super easy to throw some cookies in the oven when you have that craving.
What is the best temperature to bake chocolate chunk cookies at?
Ovens temps can vary greatly. Ideally, you will want to test your oven to make sure it is accurate. I have found success baking cookies at 350 degrees.
Where can I buy Tara’s cookbook Live Life Deliciously?
I’m glad you asked! It is a FABULOUS cookbook! It’s beautiful and full of great recipe and I’ve made a bunch of them. I actually helped recipes test for the book so I know that it’s delicious. You can buy her book here. You will love it.
More cookie recipes:
- The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (the secret is melted butter!)
- Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies
- Giant M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Giant Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 cup plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, , softened
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese,, softened
- 1 tablespoon molasses,, not blackstrap
- 1 ½ cups dark brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 10 oz large milk chocolate chunks
- 2 cups 10 oz large semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- sea salt flakes,, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese, molasses, dark brown sugar, and sugar until softened and smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix.
- Add salt, baking soda, and flour and mix on low until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Portion dough into 5 ounce balls. Flatten dough slightly. Place cookie dough balls in a resealable gallon-size bag. Chill dough for at least 24 hours.
- When the dough is ready to be baked, preheat the oven to 350°F. Place cookie dough balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet at least 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes, if desired.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the cookie is just turning golden around the edges.
- Let cookies cool completely on the pan before removing.
- The chill time is where the magic lies. You can do it!
- This recipe is from Tara Bench and is in her cookbook Live Life Deliciously. You can buy her book here!
Do yourself a favor and indulge in Bakery Chocolate Chunk Cookies. I have a feeling this might be your new favorite cookie recipe.