on May 24, 2023
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chicken fajitas are a sizzling sensations are beloved by many for their delicious combination of seasoned chicken, sautéed onions and peppers, and a medley of toppings.
Not only are chicken fajitas incredibly tasty, but they are also remarkably easy to make, making them a go-to choice for busy weeknight dinners or casual gatherings with friends and family.
Chicken fajitas have become a favorite among food enthusiasts worldwide. The combination of tender, marinated chicken with the caramelized onions and colorful bell peppers creates a symphony of flavors that excite the palate. The seasonings, such as chili powder, cumin, and garlic, infuse the dish with a delicious kick that satisfies spicy food lovers.
One of the joys of chicken fajitas is the opportunity to personalize each serving. Whether you prefer a dollop of sour cream, a generous heap of guacamole, a dash of salsa, or a sprinkling of shredded cheese, you can tailor the toppings to suit your taste preferences.
While chicken fajitas are a complete meal on their own, you can elevate your dining experience by serving them with some delectable accompaniments. Here are a few suggestions:
- Mexican Rice: The aromatic blend of rice, tomatoes, spices, and herbs complements the flavors of chicken fajitas perfectly.
- Refried Beans: Creamy and savory, refried beans add a comforting touch to your plate.
- Fresh Salsa and Guacamole: These zesty and creamy dips offer a refreshing contrast to the smoky fajita flavors.
- Crisp Salad: A simple salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, and a light vinaigrette adds a refreshing element to balance the richness of
- Chicken breast
- Lime juice
- Chili powder
- Bell peppers
- Yellow or red onion
- Flour tortillas
Keep scrolling to find a full, printable recipe with a detailed ingredient list.
Whipping up a batch of chicken fajitas is remarkably simple. Here’s a quick rundown of the process:
- Marinate: Slice the chicken into thin strips and toss them in a marinade of olive oil, lime juice, spices, salt, and pepper. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 15 minutes, or longer for enhanced flavor.
- Grill or Sauté: Cook the marinated chicken on a grill or stovetop skillet until it’s browned and cooked through. Set it aside.
- Sauté the Goodness: In the same skillet, sauté sliced onions and bell peppers until tender and slightly charred. Return the chicken to the skillet and stir everything together for a couple of minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Serve and Enjoy: Warm your tortillas, assemble your fajitas, and garnish with your favorite toppings. Dig in and relish the delightful flavors!
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! While chicken is the traditional choice, you can substitute it with beef, shrimp, or even tofu for a vegetarian option.
If you prefer a low-carb option, you can serve the fajita mixture over a bed of lettuce as a salad. Alternatively, you can use lettuce leaves or cauliflower tortillas as a gluten-free alternative.
You can adjust the amount of chili powder and other spices to suit your preferred level of spiciness. Feel free to experiment and find the perfect balance for your taste buds.
While it’s best to cook the chicken and vegetables fresh for optimal flavor and texture, you can marinate the chicken ahead of time to save preparation time. Sauté the onions and peppers just before serving.
If you’ve tried this Chicken Fajitas recipe or any other recipe on Bless This Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories.
- 3-4 medium chicken breast,, about 2 pounds total, cut through the thickest part (so you’ll have 6-8 thin breast pieces)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic,, divided
- 2 teaspoon chili powder,, divided
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin,, divided
- 1 jalapeno,, seeded for less heat if desired, minced
- 2 teaspoon salt,, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium bell peppers,, preferably 1 red, yellow and green, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium yellow or red onion,, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 10-12 6-inch flour tortillas, warmed
- Optional toppings such as sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa, and/or guacamole
- In a large zipper topped bag or a container with a lid that is large enough to fit your chicken, add together 1/4 cup olive oil, lime juice, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Stir a bit to combine.
- Add chicken and toss well to fully coat the chicken in the marinade. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- Preheat a 12-inch cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil then remove chicken from marinade and place in the skillet. Let cook until seared and browned on bottom, about 5 minutes.
- Flip chicken and continue to cook until chicken registers 160 – 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer in the center, about 5 minutes longer. If you find chicken is browning too quickly before cooking through you can reduce the temperature slightly.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile add remaining 1 Tbsp oil to the same cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add bell peppers and onions, season with salt and pepper. Saute about 4 minutes, only tossing occasionally and scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon chili powder and cumin, 1 1/2 tsp garlic and saute until just the peppers are tender crisp, about 2 minutes longer.
- Return chicken to pan, toss in cilantro and serve warm in tortillas with suggested toppings.
- If your chicken is very thick it is going to take longer to cook so plan on a longer cooking time or cut the chicken into thinner pieces before marinating.
- You have a lot of flexibility with this recipe. Feel free to add more peppers or onions as you like and add toppings like cheese or sour cream to your taste as well.
Chicken fajitas have rightfully earned their status as a sizzling sensation that is beloved by many. The tantalizing combination of flavorful seasoned chicken, sautéed onions and peppers, and a medley of toppings creates a culinary experience that excites the taste buds and leaves a lasting impression.