This easy Spanish rice made in the rice cooker comes together with a few simple ingredients, including a can of tomatoes, a diced onion, and some flavor-filled spices, so all you have to do is dump everything in, set it, and forget it!
Easy Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
I don’t think I’ve ever said no to Mexican food. There are so many rich and bright flavors and eclectic ways to serve it that I doubt I’ll ever get sick of it! Easy Spanish rice made in the rice cooker is just one of those easy Mexican side dish staples that you must try! All you do is throw all the ingredients into the rice maker, and voila! You have rich, flavorful rice with almost zero effort.
I prefer using a rice cooker over stovetop rice because I am cursed with crunchy rice every single time I cook it in a regular old pot. Seriously. It’s sad how difficult it is for me. So a rice cooker simplifies everything since I don’t have to mess with it after throwing in all the ingredients! This rice is so delish and goes great in burritos and enchiladas, or as a side for any of your favorite Mexican or Tex-Mex meals!
Tips and Tricks for Making Easy Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker:
- You can use just about any kind of rice that you like. A long grain rice general lends to a rice that has more individual pieces of rice and a short grain will lend to a stickier Spanish Rice. You can also use brown rice, just increase the liquid by one cup (or add the amount called for on the bag).
- I have this rice cooker and love it (it makes 20 cups of cooked rice, perfect for a party/crowd!). I know that the Instant Pot has a rice cooker function and I assume that this would work great it in though I haven’t tried it myself (I need to get one…).
- You can serve this as a side to tacos (like our favorite Best Chicken Tacos Ever) and it’s also great tucked inside Smothered Burritos.
- This easy Spanish rice recipe makes a fair amount. If you don’t use it all, it freezes really well. Once it’s cooled, place extras in a zipper-topped freezer bag, label, and freeze. It should keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. I just let mine thaw in the fridge overnight or in a small bowl of warm water and then heat through before serving.
Can you use brown rice for Spanish rice?
You sure can! I do and prefer it. Just make sure to increase the liquid by one cup, and you’ll be solid. In general, a long-grain rice makes the pieces of rice less sticky and more individual, while short-grain tends to be stickier and more like a traditional Spanish rice consistency.
What’s in easy Spanish rice?
My recipe for easy Spanish rice calls for a couple cups of rice, a can of diced tomatoes, water, a small onion, bouillon, chili powder, salt, cumin, and garlic powder. Super simple, and super delicious.
Can you use an Instant Pot to make Spanish rice?
You can! Just follow the instructions for the rice cooker function on your Instant Pot.
How long does easy Spanish rice keep for?
This recipe makes a good amount of Spanish rice — if you have leftovers, it freezes really well. Place remaining cooled rice in sealable bags and freeze for up to two months. To thaw it out, place the bag in a bowl of warm water before heating through to serve!
Spanish Rice made in the rice cooker with a few simple ingredients – just dump, mix, set it & forget it! An easy recipe cooker recipe your family will love!
- 2 cups rice
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 bouillon cubes or 3 teaspoons Better than Bouillon
- 1–3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin or smoked cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the rice in the bottom of the rice cooker and then add the diced tomatoes and water. Add the onion and spices and stir a little on the top to dissolve the spices in the water. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions. When the rice is cooked, test for salt and add more if needed. Serve as a side dish or inside your favorite burritos and tacos.
I use brown rice and increase my water by one cup. The Spanish rice in the pictures was made with brown rice and I bet you didn’t even notice. Your family won’t either. You can use chicken or vegetable stock in place of the bouillon and water. The amount of chili powder you use is going to depend on how much you like. I’d try it with 2 tablespoons first and then you can go up or down from there depending on your preferences.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Rice Cooker
- Cuisine: Spanish
Keywords: Spanish rice recipe, easy rice cooker recipe, how to make Spanish rice, best rice cooker recipes
Other rice recipes you’ll love:
- Easy Korean Ground Beef and Rice
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- Cilantro Rice and Bean Bake (vegetarian enchilada casserole)
- Cafe Rio Cilantro Lime Rice
- One Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Cajun Beans and Rice Recipe
- One-Pot Sausage, Rice, and Peas Dinner
- Simple Santa Fe Rice with Cilantro and Garlic
- Stove Top Chicken and Rice
- One Pot Coconut Chicken and Rice
- Easy Rice Pudding
The recipe was originally published in February 2013. It was retested with reader feedback, rephotographed, rewritten, and republished for your enjoyment in June 2017.
This easy Spanish rice in the rice cooker is so divine and full of flavor that you’ll be wanting to make it as a side every time you enjoy a Mexican-inspired meal!