Few things are more delicious than a perfectly executed sandwich. With summer around the corner and today being National Hummus Day I thought a veggie hummus sandwich would be the perfect way to celebrate. I often go to a restaurant and buy a delicious sandwich and I always roll my eyes a little at myself when I do because it’s just a simple sandwich. But simple sandwiches are so very good! I think the difference between a sandwich you make at your house and the one you might order at a restaurant are the creative/fun/delicious extras and the number of ingredients the restaurant uses compared to what you might make at home.
I’m guilty of making a million ham or turkey sandwiches on bread with some mayo, a leaf of lettuce, and if I’m really on top of it, a slice of tomato. While that tastes fines it just isn’t a “restaurant-style” sandwich. I’m not reinventing the wheel on this post, I’m just here to inspire you a little to get out of your own sandwich making rut and try this beauty. The key for making this restaurant-worthy sandwich at home is using Sabra hummus to add a big old flavor boost as well as a big variety of vegetables too. You are going to love this! Plus, you can’t go wrong with eating a pile of vegetables in the middle of the day.
In honor of this beauty as well as #nationalhummusday Sabra has a coupon for you that is only available TODAY (you can only print this coupon until midnight 5/12/16). You can get the coupon here. It’s good for $2 off their products (not too shabby!).
- 4 pieces hearty whole grain sandwich bread
- Hummus (I like all things Sabra, chipotle, traditional, and roasted garlic are all great choices)
- Fresh spinach leaves
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 4 large ripe tomato slices
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare all your ingredients. You can toast the bread if you like in a toaster or leave it untoasted.
- Add a thick layer of hummus to the inside all each piece of bread. On two pieces of bread add a thin layer of fresh spinach leaves. Top with grated carrot, then tomato slices, add some salt and pepper to the tomato slices, then add avocado, then red onion, then alfalfa sprouts.
- Add the second piece of bread, hummus side down. Slice in half and serve right away.
Now go make a perfect hummus veggie sandwich (or pin it for later) and enjoy National Hummus Day in all of its delicious glory (don’t forget to enjoy the coupon too!). This is the perfect #UnofficialMeal sandwich, so make it for a snack after school or pack it to a baseball game tonight, you won’t be disappointed. Have you tried the Chipotle Sabra hummus yet? It was new to me until recently and I’m in love! It’s a little spicy and smokey and pretty much hummus perfection if you like a little heat. I highly recommend giving it a try.
This post was sponsored by Sabra. I’ve been working with them all year and I’m so excited; I love this company! Thank YOU for supporting me and the brands that continue to make Bless this Mess possible.