A simple Lentil Soup that is healthy, hearty, and filling- the trifecta!
I know, I know- when you hear the words “lentil soup” you don’t start salivating. But let me tell you that this soup is GOOD! It’s a winning combination of being healthy while still tasting amazing. Trust me on this one.
Vegetarian lentil soup is really simple to create and budget friendly. It is made from pantry staples like onion, carrots, and celery. It is cooked in broth with some tomatoes and spices to add delicious flavor. Sometimes the most basic recipes turn out to be the best.
Whether you are trying to cook lighter or just warm up on a cold night-lentil soup is for you. Lentils are rich in nutrients and high in protein. They are low in fat and aid in digestion. What more could you want.
Lentils are a great vegetarian source of protein while being low in calorie. Plus, this soup tastes amazing.
What kind of lentils should I use?
For this particular soup I would use green or brown lentils. These will hold their shape well even after being cooked.
What should I serve with lentil soup?
A rustic bread would compliment this soup so great. I also like to add a simple green salad to any soup meal.
Do lentils need to be soaked?
Lentils don’t need to be soaked but I would rinse them to get rid of anything that might be on them.
Are lentils good for you?
There are many health benefits to eating lentils. They are high in protein, rich in fiber, and low in calories. They also contain folate, iron, phosphorus and potassium. I think they are definitely an underrated food and I love using them!
More lentil recipes:
- Spicy Lentils with Sausage
- Veggie and Lentil Burgers
- Quick and Easy Lentil Tacos
- Easy Lentil Curry with Butternut Squash
Vegetarian lentil soup recipe made with lots of vegetables, brown or green lentils, spices, and just a bit of time simmering on the stove! It's hearty and filling and really easy to make plus it's healthy and inexpensive!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large ribs celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried brown or green lentils
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- fresh chopped parsley for serving, optional
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot add the oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot add the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetable broth to the pot and stir, scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, cumin, paprika, thyme, bay leaves, lemon juice, and salt. Stir to combine well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, and then reduce the heat so that the mixture is simmering. Place the lid on the pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are cooked through, about 45 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- When the lentils are tender, remove the bay leaves and discard them, and adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup hot.
- You can substitute any broth or stock that you like for the vegetable broth on this recipe.
- If you would like to thicken the soup a bit feel free to use a stick blender to blend it a little or put 2 cups of the soup in a blender, blend until smooth, and then return the blended soup to the pot and stir to combine.
- This is SO flexible! If you like a little lemon in it, add some of the lemon zest and additional lemon juice before serving (it gives the soup a nice bright flavor). You can add greens like spinach or kale just before serving so that they wilt just a bit. You can also sub the paprika for curry powder. Feel free to play with the spices to make this dish your own, it's a great one to play with.
- This makes a lot of soup but the leftovers freeze very well!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lentil soup, lentil soup recipe, how to make lentil soup, vegan lentil soup, vegan lentil soup recipe, vegetarian lentil soup, vegetarian lentil soup recipe
This lentil soup recipe will be the best one you’ve ever tried. You will love that it is made from pantry staples, that it’s healthy, and affordable. Enjoy!