This is such a neat recipe and one I have loved since I was a girl. My mom would make this frosting recipe for and top an Devil’s Food cake or cupcakes with and let us do the honor of loading the cake up with sprinkles.
People often ask me what it tastes like! It has a bright light flavor and isn’t overly sweet and the texture is super puffy/fluffy and will remind you of an extra light marshmallow. It’s also crazy that this recipe is made without butter or powdered sugar. It’s so unique!
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Use a stand mixer. It will change your life. You can make this using a hand mixer, but it just takes time. In a clean bowl (any grease on your bowl or utensils will ruin the icing, egg whites hate grease!), beat the egg whites and salt on high speed until foamy.
- With the mixer still running, slowly add the sugar. Beat mixture until soft peaks form (when you pull the mixer out of the white mixture you should get a little point that bends over).
- Bring the corn syrup to a boil over medium heat in a small saucepan. When the corn syrup comes to a boil, remove from heat.
- Slowly pour the hot corn syrup into the egg mixture while your mixer is mixing on high. Beat the mixture until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- Use right away.
- Use the frosting right away and eat any leftovers, as it doesn’t store well.
- You can leave a cake that has been iced with this uncovered, since any type of plastic wrap on it will be a mess.
- Add the sprinkles as soon as you are done spreading the icing. A thin crust will form and the sprinkles won’t stick if you wait too long.
- This recipe doubles well.
- This is enough to frost 18 cup cakes or the outside of 1 layered cake. This is not a great icing to fill a layer cake with, the cake kind smashes it into nothing and you don’t have a nice layer in the middle anymore.
- Category: dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: frosting, icing, cake, cupcake, dessert, white cloud, egg free, gluten free