Simple, sturdy cake is one of our favorite ways to enjoy Strawberry Shortcake. You just can’t go wrong with a fluffy cake that is layered with strawberries and finished off with whipped cream.
I look forward to strawberry shortcake every year. It means warm weather is here and strawberries are ripe for the picking. This has been one of my favorite desserts since I was a child and I’m excited to share this classic shortcake recipe with you.
Strawberry Shortcake Cake
There are two kinds of people in this world – people who like a cake-like strawberry shortcake and those who like a biscuit-like strawberry shortcake. Which side are you on?
I’m not sure where the distinction comes from, but it seems to be geographically as well as family-of-origin based. I wanted to share with you today my favorite cake-like strawberry shortcake recipe.
This is a staple type of dessert during the warmer months. It’s a recipe that is easy enough for any non-baker and baker alike.
What happens when you put sugar on a strawberry?
I like to add a tablespoon or two of sugar to my cut strawberries and let them sit while I make the shortcake. This gives the strawberries some time to release their juices and makes a nice syrup to drizzle on top of the shortcakes. So good.
How do I make whipped cream?
To make whipped cream, I simply add 1-2 cups of heavy whipping cream, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla to the bowl of my stand mixer and beat until soft peaks form. SO much better than anything pre-made from the store. Very worth the 5 minutes of prep, if you ask me.
How do I serve strawberry shortcake?
To serve strawberry shortcake I slice the cake into 9 pieces. Remove one piece from the pan and split it down the middle. Top half of the cake with strawberries and whipped cream, add the second half of cake, and top with more whipped cream and strawberries.
How should strawberry shortcake be stored?
Store any leftover cake covered at room temperature. Separate from any leftover strawberries or whipped cream.
Strawberry shortcake is such a lovely dessert. It’s light, not too sweet, and easy to prepare. Enjoy a slice (or two) from my kitchen to yours!
More strawberry recipes:
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
- 4 Ingredient Strawberry Frozen Yogurt (5 minute recipe!)
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
My famous strawberry shortcake recipe made with a simple homemade cake (so not fussy!), sweetened strawberries, and whipped cream. We eat this once a week all spring long.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1–2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced, and sweetened to your liking
- 2–4 cups freshly whipped cream (sweetened if you like)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-inch square baking dish (or line it with parchment).
- In a medium bowl, add the sugar and melted butter and stir to combine well.
- Add the egg and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and beat with an electric mixture or stand mixer to combine.
- Add the milk and beat again until the mixture is smooth with no lumps. Place the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cake is lightly golden and springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
- To serve, slice the cake into 9 pieces. Remove one piece from the pan and split it down the middle. Top half of the cake with strawberries and whipped cream, add the second half of cake, and top with more whipped cream and strawberries.
- Serve right away.
- Store any leftover cake covered at room temperature, separate from any leftover strawberries or whipped cream.
- It’s best to use an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer for this cake. I’ve made it a few times where I stirred it all by hand and I was left with little flour chunks in my batter and cake. Incorporating the milk with an electric mixture helped to ensure there were no flour chunks in my cake.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven, Bowl
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade strawberry shortcake recipe, fluffy shortcake biscuits, how to make strawberry shortcake, strawberry shortcake, strawberry shortcake recipe
Want To Save This Recipe?
And I’m dying to know, what is your go-to Strawberry Shortcake recipe? Biscuit or Cake?! Do tell! If you don’t have a favorite yet, I’d for sure try this cake recipe.