Homemade lightly sweet biscuits for strawberry shortcake that are easy to make with a little flour and butter, all you need to add are sweetened strawberries and whipped cream!
Sweet Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits
This sweet biscuit strawberry shortcake is summertime perfection! The addition of an egg makes the biscuit a bit more dense/sturdy than other drop biscuits. The sparkling sugar on top is optional, but makes this shortcake beautiful and extra-tasty.
Can the biscuits and cake be made ahead?
I like to make the biscuits the day of serving. The cake can be made a day in advance and kept covered.
Can I double this recipe?
I had great luck doubling the cake recipe and placing it in a sheet pan. I baked it for about 15 minutes and then added a layer of strawberries, a layer of whipped cream, and then more strawberries. I took it like this to a big family party and sliced it there. It was a great and easy way to make strawberry shortcake for a crowd.
What happens when you put sugar on a strawberry?
I like to add a tablespoon or two of sugar to my cut strawberries and let them sit while I make the shortcake. This gives the strawberries some time to release their juices and makes a nice syrup to drizzle on top of the shortcakes. So good.
How do I make whipped cream?
To make whipped cream, I simply add 1-2 cups of heavy whipping cream, ¼ cup powdered sugar, and ½ teaspoon of vanilla to the bowl of my stand mixer and beat until soft peaks form. SO much better than anything pre-made from the store. Very worth the 5 minutes of prep, if you ask me.
More strawberry recipes:
- The Best Strawberry Shortcake (this is cake like instead of a biscuit)
- Classic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
- Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Healthy Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie
If you like strawberry shortcake with a sweet biscuit-like shortcake, this recipe is for you!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (½ cup) cold butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup whole milk or 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons sprinkling sugar, optional
- 1-2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced, and sweetened to your liking
- 2-4 cups freshly whipped cream (sweetened if you like)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Add the butter and use a pastry blender, two knives, a fork, or your hands to cut the butter into the flour, until it resembles small crumbs with pieces of butter no larger than a pea.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add the beaten egg, milk, and vanilla and stir just until the mixture comes together.
- Using a large spoon, place a mound of dough on the baking sheet. You should use about ½ cup of dough for each biscuit. Repeat with remaining dough. Sprinkle dough with sparkling sugar.
- Bake until the shortcakes are golden brown, 12-14 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- To serve, split the shortcake in half, add strawberries and whipped cream, and then top with the second half of the biscuit. Enjoy right away. Store leftover shortcakes at room temperature, separate from the berries and whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 14 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven, Bowl
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade strawberry shortcake, strawberry shortcake biscuits recipe
Strawberry shortcake made with sweetened biscuits is a Midwestern tradition that I love making all spring and summer. You'll love home simple it is to put together and how satisfying it is to eat!