Thick and creamy Stove Top Cheddar Broccoli Soup is what my dreams are made of. This is a highly requested recipe and there is no doubt why. Cheesy broccoli soup is the epitome of comfort food.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion, 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken stock if not vegetarian)
- 4 cups bite-sized broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup matchstick or grated carrots
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 cups cream or half-and-half
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, add the butter and onion and sauté until the onion is tender over medium to medium high heat, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken stock, broccoli, carrots, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer, simmer until the broccoli is cooked through and very tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the corn starch and cold water until smooth.
- Slowly add the corn starch mixture to the pot. Stir constantly until the soup comes to a simmer and thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the cream or half-and-half.
- Add the cheese a handful at a time and stir until it melts.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
- You can use frozen broccoli in place of the fresh, no need to change the cooking time. Sometimes I used the mixed broccoli and cauliflower that's frozen and it works great too.
- Feel free to use whatever cheese you like or have on hand, I use extra sharp cheddar for this recipe.
- This is a great recipe to serve in a bread bowl!
- If the broccoli is in bigger chunks than I want, sometimes I'll use a potato masher to smash things up a bit. I have also ran an immersion blender through it (just a bit, I like a few chunks). I do this before I add the cornstarch and cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheddar broccoli soup, broccoli soup, cheesy broccoli soup, cheddar broccoli soup recipe, broccoli cheddar soup, broccoli cheese soup, how to make broccoli soup