I have been using my slow cooker like a crazy person these last few week, and this slow cooker chicken pot pie is one of the meals that I made and we loved. I love soups and stews, but my family can get tired of them after a while. I really liked this slow cooker chicken pot pie recipe because you add a homemade element (the biscuits) that isn’t made in the slow cooker; that little extra step really makes everyone happy. I’m happy because I can still get the bulk of dinner prepped and going during the middle of the day and my family is cheering because they get fresh biscuits to go with dinner. Adding homemade biscuits to any meal really gets my family to the table without complaint.
This isn’t a traditional pot pie, but it’s still super hearty and filling with about half the work. You are essentially making the “guts” of a pot pie and serving it with biscuits instead of a crust. The slow cooker chicken pot pie stew is hearty, full of chicken and just a little bit creamy, and of course I’ve added lots of vegetables to it. It’s a simple no fuss meal that really hits the spot on a cool evening.
We spent a glorious day in the garden getting the hens ready for winter, and I can’t wait to show you a little time lapse video I made. I’m wanting to do more video this coming year and I thought I might as well get practicing. Be on the lookout for a post and video about the hens this coming week. The weather was chilly when we got there, we did a lot of moving and lifting, and when we got back home I was beat. We spent a quiet afternoon working on embroidery projects and reading Little House on the Prairie. We just finished Little House in the Big Woods and my kids were excited to start the next book in the series. For a day like today, this is kind of the perfect meal. It’s warm and comforting, but it cooks while you do other things. Slow cookers are the best!
Craving more? to Bless this Mess to get new recipes, meal plans, and a newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! If you try this recipe, let me know what you think! Leave a comment, pin it, and don’t forget to tag a picture #blessthismesseat on Instagram. I love to see your kitchen skills in action!
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken (thighs or breast meat)
- 4 cups cubed potatoes
- 2 cups peeled and diced carrots
- 2 cups green beans (raw, canned, or frozen all work)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion diced, about 1 cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 cup cream
- prepared biscuits
- In the bowl of your slow cooked add the chicken, potatoes, onions, carrots, green beans, stock, onion, and spices. Add the lid and allow to cook until the vegetables are tender and the meat is cooked through, 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. When the meat is cooked remove it from the slow cooker and shred it well. Return the meat to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Add the cream and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with fresh biscuits on top.
- Serving Size: Serves 6 to 8
For this recipe, I recommend:
Enjoy this slow cooker chicken pot pie recipe and have a fabulous weekend. I have so many thoughts on the scripture I’ve been ponderizing this week and I can’t wait to share them with you tomorrow.