This is a classic homemade Rye Bread recipe that is rustic, flavorful and made with caraway seeds. Rye bread makes the best toast and great sandwiches too!
If you are making the effort to bake homemade bread I love when the recipe yields 2 loaves-and this one does! You don’t need a bread pan to make this recipe. Simply shape the dough into a ball and you will end up with a perfectly round loaf when you are finished.
Rye Bread Recipe
Rye Bread is a nutrient dense bread that is made by using rye flour instead of wheat flour. It is chuck full of fiber, high in potassium, calcium and B vitamins. I love the dark coloring and the deep earthy flavor.
Caraway seeds are a popular seed that is often used in rye bread recipes. This seed is what gives rye bread its unique flavor. Caraway seeds aid in the flavor of rye bread but also offer benefits for the digestive system as well.
A sandwich made on rye bread feels extra fancy and delicious compared to a piece of regular store-bought bread. The Reuben sandwich just wouldn’t be the same without rye bread.
Is homemade rye bread healthy?
Rye bread is a great source of fiber which aids in digestion. It also contains vitamins A, B , E and K. Rye bread is known to increase satiety, have a lower insulin response than other wheat breads and reduce inflammation.
Does rye bread need kneading?
Rye bread is really low in gluten so kneading isn’t necessary. The dough won’t be as supple as other wheat breads you have made. Rye bread dough is very sticky to work with. I suggest dipping your hands in water so the dough won’t stick to your hands when working with it.
How do you eat rye bread?
Rye bread is good for all occasions. It makes the most delicious toast and sandwiches. It is good with a cream cheese spread, butter, jam, or slap some deli meat and cheese in between 2 slices to create the yummiest lunch. My favorite little sandwich to make with rye bread is cucumber sandwiches!
Is it OK to freeze rye bread?
Rye bread freezes beautifully. You can freeze rye bread either in slices or whole. Wrap the loaf (or slices) in plastic wrap and store in a freezer bag for optimal freshness. When properly stored the loaf will be good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More bread recipes:
- My Favorite Go-To Sourdough Bread Recipe
- Super Simple No-Knead Bread
- Classic French Baguettes
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread Recipe (the best!)
If you’ve tried my rye bread recipe with caraway seeds or any other recipe on Bless this Mess, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some pictures of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories AND add your photo to your comment so that other can see your creation.Print
Rye Bread Recipes
- Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaves 1x
A classic rye bread recipe with caraway seeds that makes two round loaves that are tender but sturdy and make the best toast and sandwiches.
- 3 tablespoons active dry yeast
- ¾ cup warm water
- 2 cups warm milk
- ¼ cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons caraway seed
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-4 cups dark rye flour
- In a large mixing bowl dissolve the yeast in warm water and the allow the mixture to sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the milk, molasses, butter, salt, caraway seeds and the all purpose flour.
- Mix very well until smooth and continue to mix for another 2-3 minutes at this stage (this helps to develop the gluten).
- Add enough rye flour to make dough easy to handle and stir to incorporate as well as you can.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a floured work surface.
- Knead dough until smooth (about 10 minutes), gradually adding any remaining rye flour.
- Place the smooth dough in a greased bowl (I just grease the one I mixed it up in).
- Turn the dough around until greased side is up.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and remove it from the bowl onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide into two even pieces.
- Form each piece of dough into round loaves.
- Place the shaped loaves on a parchment lined baking sheet and let rise until double (about 1 hour)
- Bake at 425 degrees F. for 25-30 minutes or until the top is a deep brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- You can use light rye flour if that's what you have on hand. I like the dark rye as it lends to a little more flavor in my opinion. It's the whole grain version of light rye (like a whole wheat flour vs. all-purpose) and it adds a lot to the texture of the bread too.
- Caraway seeds have a very specific flavor and I love them in rye bread. That being said, my kids don't love them. I'll often make a batch without them for them.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: side
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to make rye bread, dark rye bread, rye bread, rye bread recipe, rye bread with dark rye, rye bread with caraway seeds, homemade rye bread
Homemade Rye Bread made with caraway seeds is soft on the inside but has the best crusty crust. It is the perfect bread for sandwiches! Can’t wait for you to try this recipe.
Can you use a stand mixer?