Wondering how to make rice crispy treats? Then this easy recipe for perfect rice crispy treats is for you! A whole lot of love, and a whole lot of butter goes into making these soft & tender treats ideal for any afternoon!
Classic Rice Crispy Treats
Happy Mother’s Day, my fellow nose-wiping, bear-hugging, boo boo-kissing mamas! I hope this special day brings you all the love and appreciation and snuggles your heart could ever desire.
Don’t rice crispy treats just bring you back to simpler times? These ultra-classic sweet and sticky bars were a favorite of mine growing up, and they’ve remained a staple in my home. The simple trick to the best tasting rice crispy treats EVER is loading up the butter.
In fact, I use more than double what the cereal box instructions call for, and it’s truly incredible. Hey, if you’re going all in with your sweet treats, you might as well totally commit! Butter those bad boys up, and I promise you’ll fall in love over and over again (more than you already are)!
Rice crispy treats will always be a go-to for kids’ activities and parties, as well as any kind of casual gathering. Another trick that adds to the presentation is reserving a cup of mini marshmallows and throwing them in the melted mixture after you’ve added in the cereal! It makes pops of marshmallow way more apparent… and way more tasty.
Why are my rice crispy treats hard?
There are a few key tips to avoid hard rice crispy treats:
- Cook your mallows at a low temp.
- Use fresh marshmallows.
- Don’t press things too hard into the pan.
- Use lots of butter (I use more than double what the “on the box” recipe calls for, and it’s delightful).
How do you keep rice crispy treats from sticking to the pan?
Make sure you butter your pan thoroughly before pouring the mixture into it and patting the treats out evenly. You also don’t want to press the mixture too hard into the pan.
Do rice crispy treats have to be refrigerated?
They do not! But they may last longer if you store them in the fridge. I’d recommend covering them and leaving them out for 3 days maximum, or refrigerate them for up to 1 week.
Wondering How to Make Classic Rice Crispy Treats? Then this easy recipe for perfect rice crispy treats is for you!
- 8 tablespoons butter (1/2 cup or 1 stick)
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups rice crispy cereal
- Prepare a 9-inch square baking pan by greasing it well with butter.
- In a large pan on the stove, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low; add all of the marshmallows EXCEPT for 1 cup.
- Stir constantly, until the marshmallows are melted.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.
- Add the rice crispy cereal and the remaining one cup of mini mallows, and stir to combine well, making sure there are no dry pockets of cereal.
- Add the cereal to the prepared pan, and use a spatula to spread it out to an even layer, taking care not to press or smash it down. If a spatula isn’t cutting it, get your hands lightly damp, and gently press out the cereal. A buttered bottom of a measuring cup also works well.
- Let the rice crispy treats cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Keys to avoiding hard rice crispy treats: Cook your mallows at a low temp, use fresh marshmallows, don’t press things too hard into the pan, and use lots of butter (I use more than double what the “on the box” recipe calls for, and it’s delightful).
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rice crispy treats, how to make rice crispy treats, homemade rice crispy treats, how do you make rice crispy treats, best rice crispy treats
Want To Save This Recipe?