on May 18, 2019, Updated Jan 23, 2020
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
No-bake Scotcheroos combine the flavors of butterscotch, chocolate, and peanut butter with the perfect amount of crunch from crispy rice cereal. They are so addicting and easy to make that you’ll be finding lots of reasons to make them!
My sweet tooth is not very particular. It doesn’t discriminate, and all sweets are made equal in its eyes. (Do sweet teeth even have eyes?) But when you combine things like chocolate with butterscotch and peanut butter or crunchy with chewy… I am over-the-moon excited. These No-bake Scotcheroos do not disappoint, and they bring all of that goodness of flavor and texture my sweet tooth could EVER desire.
Plus, I love a simple dessert so much. Maybe it’s because baking always seems to have 89 steps, and I only have time to complete about 7 of them… Don’t get me wrong, I love a beautiful cake or scratch-made pie, but something about the efficiency of a less-than-30-minute dessert that tastes just as good as those cakes and pies makes my heart sing like Celine Dion. Anybody else?
What are Scotcheroos?
Scotcherros are peanut butter rice krispie bars topped with melted butterscotch and then a layer of chocolate. They’re super easy to make and a favorite dessert with kids and adults alike!
Where did Scotcheroo bars come from?
Scotcheroos were originally printed on a Rice Krispies box in the ’60s! Many people think of them as rice crispy treats on steroids, and I happen to agree (but I still love both dearly). Are they a Mid-Western thing too? I know I grew up with them in Indiana but most people here in Utah haven’t had them.
Can you freeze Scotcheroo bars?
You sure can. Freeze Scotcheroos in an airtight container or sealable baggie for up to 2 or 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them, thaw them at room temperature until they’re soft enough to bite on in to.
Can you make No-bake Scotcheroos without corn syrup?
Yessiree! To make Scotcheroos without corn syrup, just sub in 2/3 of a cup of honey, instead.Print
No-bake Scotcheroos combine the delightful flavors of butterscotch, chocolate, and peanut butter with the perfect amount of crunch from crispy rice cereal.
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups butterscotch chips, divided
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk chocolate both work great)
- Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil or parchment paper, and generously grease with butter.
- In a large pan, combine the corn syrup, sugar, and butter over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the butter is melted and everything is combined.
- Increase the temperature to medium-high, and stir constantly. When the mixture starts to gently bubble (don’t bring it to a full boil), remove it from the heat and stir in the peanut butter, vanilla, salt, and 1/4 cup of butterscotch chips.
- Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the cereal, and mix to combine well.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Press down to pack the mixture evenly into the pan (I like to use the greased bottom of a measuring cup to press it into the pan).
- Prepare your chocolate topping by combining the remaining cup of butterscotch chips and the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir. Microwave in 15 second increments, stirring after each, until the mixture is completely melted.
- Spread the melted butterscotch-chocolate mixture over the prepared Scotcharoos.
- Allow the chocolate to set (about an hour) before cutting into bars and serving.
- You can sub the corn syrup for 2/3 cup of honey if you prefer.
- If you are feeling fancy, you can melt the butterscotch and the chocolate chips separately. Add the chocolate chips in an even layer, and spread the mixture around. Then, spoon the butterscotch chips unevenly over the top. Use a toothpick to swirl the two together; it makes a pretty marbled effect!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No Bake
- Cuisine: American
For more no-bake recipes, check out:
- No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Energy Balls
- 8 No-Bake Oatmeal Energy Balls
- Easy Healthy No-Bake Cheesecake
- No-Bake Chocolate-Covered Fluffernutter Cookies
- Blueberry Muffin Date Balls (healthy, no-bake treat)
- No-Bake Pumpkin Oatmeal Energy Balls
- Easy No-bake Homemade Macaroni and Cheese