King Arthur classic 100% whole wheat bread is the perfect loaf for all the favorite sandwiches and toast that you and your family love!
Don't fret if you've made bread that hasn't worked out in the past... This loaf is so simple to make that you'll be sharing the recipe (and slices) with all your loved ones!
King Arthur Classic 100% Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
Homemade bread, anyone? In all my years of blogging, baking, and cooking, one of the most common questions I hear again and again is some variation of how to not ruin bread. I get it, too! Sometimes things get a little wonky when bread baking ensues. Things like the temperature of the room and the age of the yeast and flour play big parts in a successful loaf of bread (and buns, too).
But let me tell you, this homemade whole wheat bread recipe is one that I'd even trust my kiddos to make. It's really that easy. Sure, there's some kneading and some waiting for the dough to rise. And yes, you'll want to keep an eye on it when it bakes.
But I've laid out easy step-by-step instructions to totally simplify the bread making process for you -- and even better, you don't need a bread making machine! Just a loaf pan, a few ingredients, and your oven. I know you'll knock this scrumptious and thick loaf out of the park... And you'll make some pretty tasty sandwiches while you're at it!
Why is my whole wheat bread so dense?
Whole wheat bread is generally thicker and denser than, say, a fluffy white bread because whole wheat flour has far less gluten than white flour. But I really love the texture of whole wheat bread because it is such a hearty loaf and holds up well to toppings.
Does whole wheat bread require more yeast?
No, I generally use 2 ½ teaspoons of instant yeast or simply a packet of active dry yeast dissolved into a couple tablespoons of the required water for the recipe.
What is the healthiest flour for bread?
According to All Recipes, whole wheat flour, spelt flour, oat flour, and rye flour (and pumpernickel) are the healthiest flours to use in bread.
How long should I knead whole wheat bread dough?
Knead the dough for about 6 to 8 minutes by hand or using a stand mixer.
This simple whole wheat bread recipe made with wholesome ingredients will be your new go-to loaf for all your favorite sandwiches and toasts!
- 1 ¼ cups lukewarm water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup honey, molasses, or maple syrup
- 3 ½ cups King Arthur Premium 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons instant yeast, or 1 packet active dry yeast dissolved in 2 tablespoons of the water in the recipe
- ¼ cup nonfat dried milk
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients, and stir until the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, and knead it for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it begins to become smooth and supple. If you don't want to do this by hand, a stand mixer works great too. This dough should be soft, yet still firm enough to knead. Add additional flour, if necessary.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover it, and allow the dough to rise till puffy, but not necessarily doubled in size, about 1 to 2 hours, depending on how warm your kitchen is.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface, and shape it into an 8-inch log. Place the log in a lightly greased loaf pan, cover the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise for about 1 to 2 hours, or until the center has crowned about 1 inch above the rim of the pan. Toward the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the bread for 35 to 40 minutes, tenting it lightly with aluminum foil after 20 minutes to prevent over-browning. The finished loaf will register 190 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Rub the crust with a stick of butter. Cool completely before slicing. Store the bread in a plastic bag at room temperature.
- This recipe comes from the King Arthur Flour Whole Wheat Baking cookbook, and it's a great one.
- You can double this recipes with great success.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: bread
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whole wheat, bread, bread recipe, homemade bread
Other bread recipes you'll love:
- Sweet Potato Bread
- Whole Wheat Spinach Bread
- Mom's Jumbo Dinner Rolls
- Homemade Italian Bread
- Easy Bread Sticks Recipe
- Mom's 4 Loaf Wheat Bread Recipe
- Grandma Lucy's Famous Clover Rolls
- Easy Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
- Whole Wheat Clover Rolls
- The Best Cornbread Recipe
Easy whole wheat bread is a no-fuss, hearty, and thick bread made with simple, clean ingredients and that comes together easily!