Honey Sweetened Peanut Butter Cookies made with whole wheat flour are one of our new favorite cookies. These cookies are easy to make, made with great “whole food” ingredients, and taste awesome. These cookies are made with honey, whole wheat flour, and lots of peanut butter. You won’t need any other fat/oil like butter or shortening in this recipe either because the peanut butter has you covered. I like this fact because that means I can still make cookies when I run out of butter over the weekend but we still want to make a treat on Sunday night.
This simple one bodessert is going to becomes a family favorite in no time. Here’s a little tip when it comes to buying whole wheat flour. I like to buy white whole wheat flour. This means they milled the flour from soft white wheat berries. Traditional whole wheat flour is made from hard red wheat berries. Flour made from the soft white wheat berries is more tender and tastes less “wheaty”. It’s a great option for baked goods. You can also use whole wheat pastry flour which is made from the white wheat berries and is also ground more finely than traditional wheat flour. Both are pretty easy to find and I feel like they make a big difference when it comes to making cookies and muffins or cakes with whole wheat flour.
Honey Sweetened Peanut Butter Cookies (whole wheat flour)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 ½ dozen cookies.
- 1 cup peanut butter (natural and normal will both work, smooth or creamy)
- 1 cup honey (I like to buy local, it seems less bitter than cheap store honey)
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or a baking mat.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer combine the peanut butter and honey and beat until totally incorporated. Stir in egg and vanilla.
- Add the salt, soda and flour and mix until it comes together to form a dough.
- Shape dough into small balls (about 1 tablespoon of dough each) and place on the prepared sheet. Use fork to lightly press each dough ball down.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies become slightly golden brown. (Note: Be careful to not over bake! Honey burns much more easily than sugar.) Remove from the oven and place the cookies on a wire rack to cool.
I like to buy white whole wheat flour. This means they milled the flour from soft white wheat berries. Traditional whole wheat flour is made from hard red wheat berries. Flour made from the soft white wheat berries is more tender and tastes less “wheaty”. It’s a great option for baked goods.
This recipe was inspired by and adapted from Little Owl Crunchy Momma
Enjoy these cookies from my home to yours! It’s been really fun working on desserts and treats made with whole food ingredients and the results have been awesome. I can’t wait for you to try these Honey Sweetened Peanut Butter Cookies.